Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 20920 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2004, 11:25:43 PM »
Good find. It's hard to tell if they've held to that, though. The post was back from September. Given Blizzard's general thrust at trying to avoid previous mistakes (I gather that most people consider DAoC's exclusive divisions a mistake, and that was for a game that was designed with the divisions in mind for the capture the flag game.) so there's a good chance things like that might change. We'll have to wait and find out I guess.

I also found some other things on www.worldofwar.net that say much the same thing as what Sprig found. The Reputation thing might allow someone to switch over to a different faction over time even if they keep the group-exclusive division in. Who knows? Here's what I found:

Neither faction can party with members of the other faction or enter each others towns {unless in stealth somehow}.  Reputation is said to help characters of the other faction to mix but how this is to be implemented hasn't been elaborated on yet.  They can not understand each others language {Common & Orcish} unless in possession of language skills or ride each others mounts {unless masters of the Riding skill} or hire their flying mounts.

The Reputation interface has never been seen and not much has been released about it. We do know however that it will affect how NPCs and certain Monsters react to you and it is in some way connection to your faction alignment {Alliance or Horde}.  The NPCs is easy enough to see as there will be NPCs of all races so it's only natural they'll be more accommodating to those of their own faction.  Monsters, on the other hand, is an interesting slant on this and it'll be very interesting to see how Blizzard balances this.

"Non-player characters - such as quest givers and vendors will respond accordingly [to Faction alignment]. " - Blizzard Nov. '03

"Some things that a character’s reputation will help decide are whether certain quests are accessible and whether or not certain non-faction groups will attack on sight." - Blizzard Nov. '03
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 11:32:25 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 12:00:20 AM »
Reputation affecting who you can party with is a COOL idea. Kind of limiting, but very cool--if you want to invest the time and skill points in winning a certain faction's favor, you can party with them. That's incredibly flavorful.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 12:03:02 AM »
Not to mention moist and succulent.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2004, 12:15:12 AM »
Agreed. Hopefully it will be that way in the actual game release or preferably before then, the beta (crosses fingers). A human ought to be able to fight for the horde if they really want to.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2004, 03:28:18 AM »
It is an intresting idea.  From what I've seen on different sites I'm in the majority of wanting to beable to have mixed groups.  But I don't see why they don't let you choose what side you want to be on.  That would solve the problem.  Being able to slowly learn their language is cool, but it's still probaly going to take a long time to bea able to siwtch over which I think defeats the purpose to be able to do so.  But if they let you use your starting points to choose thos skills that Prometheus mentioned so you could play with them would be fine too.

Now another intresting thing that was in that post is that WoW is currently on a 24 hour cycle.  So when it's 4pm realtime where the servers are it's 4pm in the game.  I do hope they change this to at least a 12 hour cycle, because when I'd beable to play is at night and I don't want to allwayse want to play at night.  But going against the standard 1 hour=1 day cycle is cool.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 03:29:18 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 11:37:21 AM »
Who knows, Sprig? Maybe there will be an eclipse or something, and you'll be able to see things for a few minutes.  8)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 04:28:07 PM »
yeah, ideally you'd be able to get the requisite skills to group with other factions upon character creation--i.e., you'd have to choose between getting a head start on your combat/crafting skills, or starting a little weaker but with a reputation as an orc-friendly human.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 01:13:01 AM »
I somewhat doubt that we'll be able to trade Reputation for skills in such a manner. Maybe it's just me, but Repuatation seems so much more of a doing thing than a having thing.

I did see somewhere however indications of neutral towns where both factions could mix together. My guess is reaching those will be the start of the road towards the opposite faction. Doing quests that favor the opposite side would likely be more generally available there than at other locations.

And who knows? Maybe World of Warcraft won't scatter major highways with 30th level creeps.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 02:38:19 AM »
found a few things that address what we're talking about
Will horde and alliance characters have the ability to gain faction points thus allowing them to utilize each other's cities?

That's currently not the plan.
Original post

So you cannot earn faction points/ranks at all as we thought.  But is possible to learn their language
Will players have the ability to change factions (from Horde to Alliance)?

No, but it will be possible to learn languages and communicate with players of the opposing faction.
Origanal post
So is the learning the language only allow you to talk with or is there other functions to it.

also:
You can currently not use a mount until level 40, but the final specifics have yet to be decided.
original post
so that would bar just earning a few quick bucks to meet up with your friends.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 03:15:31 AM »
since the FFXI servers are down tonight for hardware upgrades I'm doin more forum serfing.

heres the only thing blizzard has said about hord alliance grouping together
Will it be possible for irl friends who wish to play different races to group together?(perhaps via a quest or somthing) Or will those friends need to either A. not play together or B. have to compromise and possibly not play a race they really want to?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is something that hasn't yet been decided. I will keep you informed once it's been finalized.
original post

Also currently minimun number of people needed to form a guild is 10.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »
That's what Blizzard always says when it hasn't been fully implemented. Not surprising.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2004, 07:45:42 PM »
I tend to think that "can't use a mount" refers to a player-owned horse, rather than a quick ride on a bus shaped like a horse. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 11:00:17 PM »
Dabu?

Where did can't ride a mount come from? The Tauren thing? Mounts, if I understand right, will be for players to actually ride around on, while the bus system in the World of Warcraft has been taken over by evil gryphon and dirigible monopolies.

Did any of you take a look at the new screenshots? The first two weren't terribly exciting except in the sense that an Infernal is always impressive onscreen. The third screenshot Blizzard posted today, though, was a nice example of the results their character look design engine I thought.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 11:02:21 PM by Prometheus »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:15 AM »
all mounts are lvl 40 plus according to the site Fell.  As far as I;m aware none of them have preset courses, ie you control them, even the flying ones.  I think DAoC is one of the only games that mounts are preset.  However, ships and such are preset.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:54:55 AM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 01:48:55 AM »
Blizzard has said on thier forums that bar any unforseable cercimstance the betta apps will start next week.