Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 21570 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
World of Warcraft
« on: March 04, 2003, 12:08:08 PM »
For those who remember that Blizzard is still making a MMORPG...

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/movies/

Released publicly today.

...and they're still not even to beta yet. Blizzard is incredible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2003, 12:11:48 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »
Well Blizzard today set a release date of June 14th for WoW (wich, being Blizzard, means it'll come out in november) and that the beta sign-up will start in the next few weeks.  Watch here becasue I'm sure one of us will post that when it starts.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 10:46:22 PM »
I hadn't looked at anything for WoW yet and after cruising the webpage I must say I'm very impressed.

There's a lot to look forward to here...

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 11:10:41 PM »
You better believe it man.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 07:07:50 AM »
I am a little dissapointed by the class selections, nothing realy stood out to me as realy cool, but it's still early.  I defantly wont buy it if they do the DAoC thing where you can't group with people of other realms.  If I want to play a human and group with undead I should be able to.  I also don't like not being able to choose your start point (FFXI spoiled me on this), it limits you and your friends from being able to make what you want.  Instead, if you use the above example, you have to start in seperate places if you make what you want and who knows how long it'll take till you can meet up.  Or you'd have to compermise and make a race (and possible class too) that you don't want to play just so you can hang with your friends.  These are realy the only two objections I had when reading about the game, and they could realy interfear with enjoying the game.  I wont invest in something that wont let me play the game with my friends and be what class/race I want to be.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 12:02:29 AM »
If you put in enough time to get a FFXI world pass (thus allowing you to play with your friends) then you can easily put in enough time to buy a horse ticket and travel to your friend's start location. Tage and I have done that several times in DAOC, and it's not a big problem.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 02:08:16 AM »
DAoC is not like other MMORPGs Fell, most have they're starting points increadably far apart from each other so you can't just buy a cheep ticket to get there.  For example in FFXI if you and your friend don't choose the same starting point it would be very hard to meet up untill about lvl 15 wich takes a while to get in most games.  If you look at the map for WoW the starting points are very far apart.  But that's not realy what my previous post was about.  It was about the seperate factions (or realm in DAoc), if the game is like DAoC where if you're in one faction that means you can group with people of another I wont get it.  That would mean if I wanted to play an Elf Driud and you wanted to play an Undead warrior we couldn't play together.  Yes there is something to keeping to a setting, but MMORPGs have such loose settings and stories the players shouldn't be punished by the designers so the game could have an essence of a story.  I couldn't realy go back to DAoC because of this.  Yes there is a coop server but it's not the real thing (you can't have an elf or dwarf in platemail) I don't like being restriceted on what or where I can play by a game.  I'm not much a big fan of limiting certain races to certain classes either.  Starting points are a minor nucence (and we don;t know it WoW's transport system is going to be level based or not.  IE you have to be X lvl to use a horse).  I think you should be able to choose your starting point regardless of level, I think most gamers find not being able to a nucince.  World passes are a whole nother pain and Square should have worked out a better way to keep servers population balenced.  But it's easy to get one since on most servers people will give you cash to buy one (especialy the Japanese players). And as Square has said if you don't want to buy one just delete and make newones till the server you want comes up.  Still it's an inconvience players shouldn't have to deal with.

But anyway I just read about Ultima X: oddesy and all I can say is if that lives up to what Origin says it'll do why would anyone what to play any other traditional MMORPG again.  I mean it has real combat reminisent Morrowind and action games, and not crappy, slow, boreing MMORPG combat (it's built on the unreal 2 engine).  It'll be the first one that will deviate from the everquest standard, wich not even Blizzard or Square strayed from (wich is sad realy).

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 10:05:17 PM »
I anxiously await the day that MMORPGs develop exciting combat, but I tend to doubt that FPS-style stuff is the way to do it. If reaction time becomes too important then connection speed becomes too important, and both of those together make character stats less important. Of course, I can't think aof any other way to do it, but I'd be interested to see how they pull it off.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 10:57:22 PM »
ya so am I

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 11:37:41 PM »
I couldn't find the answers to Spriggan's questions concerning being able to party freely with friends in Blizzard's official FAQ, so I asked the question to a fansite. Who knows what that will turn up.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 11:44:59 PM »
I doubt anyone knows yet.  Blizzard likes to keep a  tight wrap on info of their games.  So untill they post details on their site we'll probaly be left wondering.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 11:08:35 AM »
At the same time, though, they have said quite a bit over the years the game has been in the making, and it always amazes me where I can find an answer to the odd question I've been wondering about.

It doesn't address Spriggan's concerns specifically, but GameSpy added two pages not long ago to a nine-page article they've been running about World of Warcraft that's good reading for those who are curious about the game. You get a good feel for what it'll be like at the very least.

http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/january04/wow/

Will take you to page eight, where the new material starts. Previous material is worth a go-over as well.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 03:12:25 PM »
Thanks for the link, the article is pretty informative.

It really sounds like they're fixing the things that frustrated me during my brief foray into MMOGs.

Now I just need to find out how to sign up for the beta :)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 10:09:10 PM »
If Blizzard would start signups, it would help. No worries on that point, though. A notification of the signups will be posted here long before they end.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2004, 12:57:22 AM »
this was posted on a WoW fansite.  It's from a collection of questions answered in various blizzard forums.
Q: It is my understanding that the horde and the alliance will not be able to group together.

Currently Alliance & Horde will be separate (as previously stated). This is going to be watched closely in the beta to see if it works or not.

So that answers my question.  you can see the whole thread here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 01:04:11 AM by Spriggan »