Author Topic: City of Heroes  (Read 5639 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 05:43:17 PM »
I vote for the WoW blog.

1.  I'd be interested.
2. Isn't CoH a little old now?  Would it really generate as many hits as a WoW blog would?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 02:46:53 AM »
I amazed you can play CoH Fell, outside of the character creation features the same is very subpar in tearms of combat, quests and many other things.  I couldn't get past lvl 14, by then I knew there wasn't anything new for me to see besides a few powers.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 09:19:01 AM »
Well the best zones are 20+...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 09:28:48 AM »
I ran through several of the zones sidekicked and wasn't all that impressed when it came to diversity.  Most of the zones are the same in tearms of graphics, there was a lot they could to do make them better.  And, if by lvl 14, I was sick of all the same instance missions why would I want to stick it out to do another 46 levels of the same office or warehouse maps over and over again?

Basicly the combat and the instances/missions turned me off of that game.  It's just not fun for me.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 09:29:47 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 10:19:44 AM »
You went through all the zones sidekicked, except the good ones. The good ones being the ones you can't get into if sidekicked.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 10:31:38 AM »
Are they so spectacular that it's worth grindeing through the same quests/instances and look alike zone for hours on end to see?  If so why not make the rest of the game that good?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 11:33:23 AM »
I happen to think that CoH has the best combat of any MMOG, hands down, and superior in many ways to a lot of PC action games. Yes, the levels get repetitive, but it's still a fun game with great grouping options and impressive stability.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 12:49:46 PM »
See there I diassagree with you Fell, you can make the argument that it's got good combat for an MMO but not for "Most PC action games".  Seriously there's nothing to it or complicated about it.  It's just you hit this buttion then the next button, by that time the first button has reactivated so you push it ect ect.  That's not  fun or inovative combat, it's tedious and boreing.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005, 01:24:35 PM »
Compared to the combat timer auto-attack of every other MMORPG, it's downright revolutionary. And when I compare it to non MMORPGs, I'm referring to the dynamics of battle rather than the button-pushing system itself--several characters with distinct combat roles facing off against large groups of enemies is very fun. It's more personal and more tactical than any FPS I've played, certainly.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »
Depends fell. Counter Strike, Natural Selection - these can all have very detailed combat plans, served through voice communication. And certainly FPS's are a lot more frantic and gripping - MMO's are downright drowsy in comparison. But for a MMO, CoH is a lot closer to an action game than any other.

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2005, 03:21:56 PM »
I've played a lot of counterstrike, and while I'll give you frantic I never had a good team play experience unless I was on a LAN with several friends. I'm sure voice communicators would have helped, but for the most part you're playing with incommunicative strangers who have their own agenda.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »
Thats why there are an inordinate number of clans. They are where the teamwork comes into effect.

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »
I don't doubt it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 02:22:38 PM »
This must totally burn you up, Spriggan: http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/archives/2005/02/city_of_heroes_11.html

To be fair, they chose WoW as Game of the Year, which makes their choice of CoH as MMORPG of the year seem more like a runner-up. Still, I'm glad the game is getting recognized for some of it's cool features.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005, 02:31:19 PM »
Na, it dosen't burn me up, there are lots of good things about CoH.  I personaly couldn't get past their quest system and repedidness of the zones/instances.  It's combat is ok, for an MMORPG, and many other things about it are good.WoW is a better game in many respects, heck I get disconnected less on WoW then CoH, combat is faster and you level realy quick.

If they'd just make more instaces (it's not like they're that big), make the zones more unique (and ontop of that add more building types, I've never seen a fast food hamburger joint in a standard stripmall office) and make it so you don't spend more time running from the quest givers to the quest then you do actualy doing the quest, I might still be playing the game.