Author Topic: Guild Wars'en  (Read 6078 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars'en
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »
As much as I like this game, I think I'm probably just going to do a review of it and let it fall by the wayside. I don't really have time to play too many different games, and WoW is quite simply better. Still, GW has its merits, and makes me wish I were back in high school when all I did was play games.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 10:23:12 PM »
Its hard for me to say which is better since right now I don't like WoW anymore, but I think I agree with Tage if they had both come out at the same time I'd rather play WoW.  But now since I've been playing WoW for almost a year I'd rather play this, hitting 60 killed WoW's fun for me there's nothign enjoyable to do after that.  And I don't consider constantly running instances to try and get slightly better equipment fun, also I don't (and have never) care for MMORPG's PvP systems or thought that genral MMORPG combat was fun for PvP.

I'm sure I won't care much for GW's PvP either, but at least going into it my chances are based off my skill selection, playing skill and group rather then my class.

I think GW's top selling point over WoW is that it's more causal of a game (which is hard since WoW is very casual until you hit 60), and has an actual story that you can play.  WoW is way more solo friendly (I soloed about 3/4 of the non-instance game) and is much more indepth world wise, but WoW is a MMORPG and GW isn't.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 09:09:45 AM »
There was a patch last night, http://www.guildwars.com/news/gameupdates.html, some new quests and PvP features were added.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 11:40:49 AM »
I didn't get a chance to look for a graphics card yesterday, I'll try to drop by today.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2005, 12:02:04 AM »
you need to reinstall this entropy so you can place me in the guild.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 02:19:05 AM »
The review has landed: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1067

For the most part I agree with his assessment. I intend to give the game a much more solid chance sometime soon, so at least it entertained me more than it did Tage, but for the most part I was pretty underwhelmed.

Also, Tage is a great writer. We need him to do more reviews.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2005, 02:37:25 AM »
I've been on the bubble about this.  Now I know that it's not for me.  Thanks for the review, Tage!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2005, 03:02:55 AM »
I felt Tage really left out how engrossing the Cooperative missions are they really are the best thing about the game far better then the standard quests that you can solo.  Not even mentioning these really dosen't let you give the game a fair shake.  Besides that I have to agree with most of his points, especialy the 8 spells/abilites I've got about 50 right now but as you get farther along it becomes fun and not annoying to mess around with all the different abilites and combos.

I'd probaly give the game 5/6 it dosen't quite deserve better then that becasue of a few things like the lack of weapons and armor, there are a lot there becasue of suffix and prefixes.  Also it's not hard to get the best weapon in the game I allready know several people that have it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 03:35:25 AM by Spriggan »

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2005, 01:04:57 PM »
Well, like I said in the review, I simply couldn't get myself to the point where I'd be doing the real multiplayer stuff, like PvP or Cooperative, whatever that is. I have no doubt those things are pretty fun. But the game's problems don't lie in what they did well, it's the things they forgot to do well that turned me off.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2005, 05:52:22 PM »
Then it's not a valid review bucko. Saying 'this game has a lot of content but i couldn't really be arsed to look at it' is not much of a critique.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2005, 06:16:20 PM »
True, but that's not what he said. He said "This game has a lot of content, but nothing that I saw made me want to see more." If a game can't grab you in the first several days of play, then it doesn't matter how good the subsequent days are.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
I agree with Entropy, Tage didn't even play the main game he only saw the side quests.  It would be like leaveing RoTS right after the opening Scrawel and baseing a review just from that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:22:10 PM by Spriggan »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2005, 06:45:53 PM »
At least the first scene. And I've read more than one review in my life from critics who've walked out of movies early--it's a viable reaction.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2005, 06:50:45 PM »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2005, 08:07:55 PM »
At least the first scene. And I've read more than one review in my life from critics who've walked out of movies early--it's a viable reaction.

And this is a positive influence how?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch