Author Topic: Guild Wars'en  (Read 5793 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Guild Wars'en
« on: May 03, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Alright... i'm playing this. Currently using a Ranger/Monk by the name of... Henzar Jendao. Anyone else playing?

First impressions of the game: It's like a hybrid of Diablo 2 and City of Heroes. The combat feels like CoH, but the world and the rest of the game feels like Diablo 2.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Guild Wars'en
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:32:23 PM »
Hmmm, no Diablo though? OR you haven't found him yet? And what of Baal? I wonder how he's doing.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:32:40 PM »
Isn't this the MMPORPG that has no monthly subscription cost?

I'd consider getting it if I didn't have an 80% chance it won't work through my network and I'd be wasting my money.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 01:15:26 PM »
Ok, TWG got our review copy, which I bribed Fell for, so I'm playing with a Mesmer/Necro named Cadamis Landsgrave. I'll look for you online, Ent.

First impressions: The game is beautiful, and gameplay is interesting. Some aspects, such as movement and fighting, are very intuitive. Others, such as "move your skeletal minion to set off the trap," well, I still have no idea how to do that. The interface isn't as polished as WoW or CoH, but it beats things like Lineage II or Saga of Ryzom. They've done a surprisingly good job of transferring the Diablo "point-n-click" to the 3D world.

More later.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 07:00:34 PM »
Tage - the trick with that one, is to use the spell while standing close to the traps. It will create a minion from the body on the other side, and the minion will run into the trap to reach your side (like the happy puppy it is). That's the way. There is no way to move a minion itself that i know of.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 05:15:24 AM »
I seam to remember a way to move a minion from the last beta I played (novemeber) but they may have taken it out.

I debateing buying the game, I like the first beta I played in a year ago but didn't care for the changes they made when I played it in November.  Also with Duengon Seige 2 comming out in October and the rumors of Diablo 3 comeing out at the end of the year I don't know if I want to invest in the game when I'd rather play those.

Also Tage, is the sound Track or Art Book any good?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 11:22:45 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 12:54:30 PM »
The art book is astonishingly good. I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet.

Thanks for the hint, Ent, that got me through it. Fell also bought the game and started last night. What's your guy's name, Fell?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »
Well let me know, I'm a sucker for soundtracks and if I do end up buying the game I'd get the collectors edtion just for that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 01:47:17 PM »
Since my wife and daughter designed my character, I'm playing a female ranger named Princess Dawn. Yeah, I know.

The game is kind of cool, but most of my reaction to it is to realize how truly streamlined and easy the WoW interface is. Playing Guild Wars reminds my of early DAoC in a way, back before there was any documentation and I had no idea what I was doing.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 02:50:19 PM »
Lol. I do like the chat interface, pressing shift 1 - 5 is the quickest way ever to change channels, and it keeping the name of whoever you are whispering to helps a lot, made it easier to insult Tage until he recognized me.

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 07:54:34 PM »
Might as well post my char.

Yuki Kawaji Monk/Mesmer

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 04:38:26 AM »
Heh, if you've got the Speakeasy GW Team Speak installed or are useing someone elses servers then whenever you have a NPC in your group, during the coopertaive missions, and they talk in the group chat window (like the prince) they'll also talk over Team Speak.  That's pretty cool.

Also I'd like to rant about the lack of macros and party member hotkeys.  It's annoying, since I'm a healer, to have to allwayse click on the party window to select targets.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:41:28 AM by Spriggan »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 09:39:47 AM »
...speakeasy GW teamspeak? o_o

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 09:57:11 AM »
ya, Guild wars has their own Teamspeak servers hosted by Gamesdameon.com (aka speakeasy hosting).  If you've got the collector's edition, like Tage, you can host your own account there free for three months.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 01:00:30 AM »
The missions keep getting better and better.  Finaly did the first one in the shiverpeaks and it was really cool, carying around kegs of blastpowder to blow up doors and with 6 people in a group now the missions are even harder.  The missions are frainkly the best thing about the game.

Also the leveing gets much slower after you hit 10, which is good sence there are only 20 total.

We're going to have to find time this week to get all the TWG people togethor so we can run some of the first area missions, we can even play with Entropy in the international areas (or he can e-mail Arena.net and have the relocate him to the american servers).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 01:00:53 AM by Spriggan »