Author Topic: column: EUOL #8  (Read 3678 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
column: EUOL #8
« on: October 22, 2004, 04:52:13 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=887

Clicking on goobers still fun to do. And yeah. I still do it to. In fact, I still play STARCRAFT (just restarted the Protoss missions for Broodwar this week, in fact).

I changed a word, EUOL, find it, and I'll give you a pretend cookie.

also, I had one other comment: Why did Blizzard make Warcraft an RPG when they already had DIablo? Was it the clans? I mean, you could make clans out of some of the material in Diablo. Weird.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: column: EUOL #8
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 06:12:30 PM »
So what levels are you guys up to? Sadly, I accidentally let my hardcore account expire and my 76-ish Javazon is gone.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 06:34:11 PM »
Hah! I was just considering reinstalling Diablo 2 on my laptop.  I've been trying to play Morrowind and that is just about the slowest game I've ever come across.  I love the concept, explore, gain levels kill bad guys in many different ways but man is it slooooooow.  I've given up on it which is what was making Diablo 2 tempt me again.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 07:03:32 PM »
The thing about still playing Diablo II, when I put it in, I just want to wander around killing stuff.  But those annoying quests and waypoints always get in the way.  I hate wandering around for a half hour looking for some stupid heart or scroll that I've already found a zillion times and it keeps moving to new places.  I hate having to scavenger hunt for new items just to stay competitive.  I just want to wander around and kill stuff.  Know what I mean?
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:35:33 PM »
I just started again recently, with a Sorceress this time. So far I'm up to nightmare.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 02:20:47 AM »
Hah! I was just considering reinstalling Diablo 2 on my laptop.  I've been trying to play Morrowind and that is just about the slowest game I've ever come across.  I love the concept, explore, gain levels kill bad guys in many different ways but man is it slooooooow.  I've given up on it which is what was making Diablo 2 tempt me again.

Morrowind is a great game Skar, though you need at least 512 megs of ram to play it well.

I think we all had initial problems with it but what you can do to get it running is lower the AI range (ie the radius from you that NPCs actauly do things) and the vision range, cutting those both in half don't affect the game much yet make it play fairly well.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »
I don't think he means in terms of how the game plays with the resources available, but instead how the game plays, itself. I.E., the game takes far to much effort to be anything worth the while of playing as you just cross a continent to find that you indeed, are sol.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch in Exile

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 04:47:26 PM »
I couldn't really get into Morrowind either, once the novelty of wandering around and exploring wore off. Diablo 2, on the other hand, I continue to play. Like Prometheus I sadly let my account expire (thank CoH and BF Vietnam for that), but I'm slowly rebuilding it with a throwing barbarian--the primary weapon is a throwing axe, but when bosses rear their ugly heads he whips out a pair of magic knives and lets slip the machine gun of Double Throw.

On a related note, I can't even remember the last time I made a Diablo 2 character who wasn't stupid.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 06:32:20 PM »
Lol.  Don't you have a throwing barb now?  That's actually viable because of 1.10.  You're going to have to work harder to make your screwball characters, Fell.  

Hum....

You could make a Necro that uses ONLY mages as a summoning.  (Regular skelletons are really tough now.)  And you could use poison explosion or teeth instead of one of the really powerful spells.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 06:35:10 AM »
Paladin that uses only defensive Auras.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 08:18:26 PM »
How about a Paladin that uses only Thorns and Sacrifice? The only way he could hurt others is by hurting himself. He'd be the "abused as a child" Paladin.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 03:37:21 AM »
/me cries.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 09:13:46 PM »
I hear you went with a trap assassin.

I'll have to start saving assassin stuff.  I think I've got a pretty cool weapon, though.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 11:27:01 PM »
Yeah, I did, but I'm tempted to switch to a Paladin. I'll give the assassin a fe more levels, but right now she's kind of boring.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 02:45:35 AM »
Wow, unless they realy nerfed traps that's a good build.  Trap assassians are crazy powerful at higher levels.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.