Author Topic: Biggest betrayal in MMO history  (Read 2060 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Biggest betrayal in MMO history
« on: August 23, 2005, 04:55:23 PM »
So, we've all heard about the usual story, people nicking weapons off of each other and so on. Well, this is the great train robbery in comparison.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17459443

Note: I actually know one of the highish members of GHCQ. He's positively glowing these days.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Biggest betrayal in MMO history
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 06:14:26 PM »
That is awesome. I honestly can't say that the GHSC guys were cheating, as some have claimed: they're playing a game that encourages corporate espionage, they carried it out really well, and they did it all within the rules. Selling the items irl is a bit dodgy, but the actual scheme and the eventual takedown are ingenius.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 07:53:28 PM »
Well, it's a matter of lying . . . they lied their entire way through, and made characters specifically for the point of lying and betrayal.

Whether it's considered "fair-game" to lie or not, I don't exactly think they have the moral high-ground, and any game which would encourage this sort of play as the ultimate "right" in terms of in-game play, has something seriously wrong with it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 08:31:22 PM »
They have not sold the items, the article was just using that to illustrate the cost of the losses. They would get banned if they sold em :)

EVE Online is an odd game. Described largely as 'the afk game', for the amount of autopiloting in it, it includes some unique features. Space is divided into the area with cops (like UO towns, do anything and they own you) and the area without. In the area without, is all the good minerals. Corporations typically claim entire strings of systems, strip mining them regularly to get money and materials for their construction facilities. After the recent free addon, they can also build their own star bases with defence turrets and factories and so on. In this unpatrolled space, there are alliances of corporations that engage in wars for systems, including jumpgate battles with over a hundred ships a side. I've got a map of the EVE world somewhere, showing the alliance territories.

EVE is renowned for it's rampant piracy, trickery (putting a shuttle up for sale for 50 million isk while saying it's a Battleship - always check the goods kiddies) and outright backstabbing. It's like the textbook example on how to act in a cyberpunk world. Critics say that it's just full of arrogant evil guys out for themselves, while supporters say it's a truly free world where you can do what you want, rather than just plodding along the path decided by the developers.

The ships look damn nice as well.

A few notes: These are largely unconfirmed until I get hold of the GCHQ guy again.

- The victim corp was apparently known for corp hanger raiding itself. That's the practice of infiltrating a corp until they give you access to their communual hangers then robbing them blind. Just goes to show, EVE is the anti-carebear game.

- The victim corp is still alive, and rebuilding. Lots of publicity for them.

- GHCQ is pure evil. Their website advertises them, saying they are there to commit terrorism, assassinations and infilitrations 'and any other atrocity you want'. They fall back on good old piracy when no jobs are open.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:32:35 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 12:44:10 AM »
Someone in Japan got arrested and sentenced to jail recently for purposefully making characters in a MMO just to "harass and rob" fellow players then sold what ever he got for killing them in PvP in real life.  If I can find the link I'll post it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.