Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 3161 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Xbox 360
« on: September 24, 2005, 12:44:35 AM »
Surprised we don't have a thread just for it.

I guess Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve, recently said that the 360, unless running on the optimized Duel processor code, only runs about as fast as a 1.7GHz P3. Ouch.  No wonder some game designers were complaining about developing for it.

One of the problems for the average designer is that they develop for multiple systems and as they become more and more different processor wise it becomes harder and more expensive to effectively code for it.

Also there are some leaked revolution specs (so don't take them as fact) that says that Nintendo's new system is actually as powerful as the 360.  If that's true, and I doubt we'll know for many months, it could hurt Microsoft in Japan.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »
The xbox 360 is very powerful if developers program right. What that will probably mean is Class A games will be awesome, but low budget ones will be terrible.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 07:50:11 PM »
yep, but the multi-threaded  processor is very hard to program for so I wouldn't be surprised to see more "these look like the original Xbox" games the 360 games for the first year or two.  SONY's in the same predicament with the Cell too.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:37:34 PM »
Personally I think that Xbox360 will crush the Revolution and battle for market supremacy with the Playstation for awhile. Revolution looks like it would be great, one thing though, Gamecube totally bombed. Something went horribly unbeatably WRONG. My opinion is that the cell shading for Wind Waker angered to many fans and it went downhill from there. That coupled with the almost overnight popularity of Halo, well that pretty much speaks for itself.

Back on subject. I think that three symmetrical cores was a good idea, I've played it. It was awesome. I will buy one.

On a side note: one more day until it comes out. YAY! :)

I am going to stop talking before I look too much like an idiot
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 09:03:12 PM »
I disagree. I think that Revolution will do well in spite of Gamecube's flop. For one thing, I think that they are doing a much better job of marketing to adults, rather than kids, which was one of the major flaws I noted with Gamecube. One thing that should help Revolution amazingly is the fact that it will be able to emulate SNES and NES games. I think, and I have found many people who agree with me, that the older games are the best games ever made. Think about all of the games that spawned so many sequels and spinoffs in later systems. Just to highlight, you have Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid. All of these were great games for NES and SNES, but a lot of the hardware for NES is either worn, or didn't work well in the first place. Therefore, the potential to play these games on a reliable system should play a large part in making the Revolution successful.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »
Also, the DS did, and is doing, really well. I think that the DS will go a long way to rejuvinating Nintendo.

I'm not grabbing a next-gen next, probably wait til mid next year, for a nice solid selection of games to play. But then again I might save the money for the PC. The PC will always be my first gaming machine, I suspect.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »
Yeah, the DS is doing really well, but then again Nintendo has been pretty much unchallenged in the portable gaming department since Game Gear. I don't predict that that will be changing too soon.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 10:01:02 PM »
Good point. However, there are still some things I would like to mention. The Xbox360 not only has a strong following thanks to Xbox, but it has a far superior (in sheer numbers of subscription) online system, Xbox Live. A subscription which comes free for the Xbox360. Not only that but, like the Revolution and Playstation, it is backwards compatible with the Xbox, i.e. you can play Halo 2 on your Xbox with someone who is using an Xbox360. I am not aware of this feature on either of the other systems.

Also, the Xbox360 has a number of old arcade 'hits' available through the Xbox Arcade. For a list go here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2005/1014-nextgeneration.htm?MSID=99b90e6a3f074a8d94c32c0c7b273ee6. While there may not be as many it still has some, keep in mind this list will grow.

I do think that the Revolution will pose a threat to Microsoft but even if Xbox begins to become unpopular you can bet that Microsoft will do something. Something that is likely to be a viral marketing campaign. Plus Microsoft's CEO is the richest man in the world and, as show with the original Xbox, he is more than willing to spend as much money as it takes to make the Xbox profitable and mainstream. I highly doubt Nintendo will do this.

You may think me a Microsoft fan boy for the above mentioned but hey, Ocarina of Time is still my favorite game. It's just that I like the way that Xbox and Xbox360 are built (by Built I do not mean look) more than that of the Gamecube and Revolution. N64 still rocks, even if it is dead in Nintendo's corporate view.

Cheerio!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:04:07 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 10:29:29 PM »
The PSP! It looks like a sexy toy for spies! :D

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 12:43:44 AM »
I loved my XBOX and XBOX Live before my console mysteriously stopped working.  I'm really debating picking up the 360.  On one hand, I like PC games more than console games.   On the other, I'm getting tired of updating my PC to play new games.

I'm torn.

The 360 is the only next-gen console I'm interested in though.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 01:22:11 AM »
Something might be wrong with your power cable. Microsoft issued a warning about them, and will replace for free minus shipping and handling of course (I think).
It all depends on when you bought yours, the older ones (launch and later for about year) have a problem with they DVD drive. Yours most likely has a problem with the drive if it has three holes on the carriage when you try to put in a game (the part where the laser reads and two inch wide holes in front and to the right and left of the reader part). Also some of them have just died and the only thing to do then is to take them to an electronics store and have them refurbish it. I think you need your receipt.

Interesting side note, the Xbox is bullet proof. This guy was playing so much that his roommate got pissed of and shot his Xbox with a 9mm caliber handgun. It turned off, but worked just fine afterwards. Now you know what to grab if someone comes after you with a gun, plus you can hit them with it, assuming you can lift that hulking behemoth.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 01:26:45 AM »
The PSP! It looks like a sexy toy for spies! :D

The DS!  The toy sexy spies actually use! :D

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 01:30:29 AM »
Something might be wrong with your power cable. Microsoft issued a warning about them, and will replace for free minus shipping and handling of course (I think).
It all depends on when you bought yours, the older ones (launch and later for about year) have a problem with they DVD drive. Yours most likely has a problem with the drive if it has three holes on the carriage when you try to put in a game (the part where the laser reads and two inch wide holes in front and to the right and left of the reader part). Also some of them have just died and the only thing to do then is to take them to an electronics store and have them refurbish it. I think you need your receipt.

Interesting side note, the Xbox is bullet proof. This guy was playing so much that his roommate got pissed of and shot his Xbox with a 9mm caliber handgun. It turned off, but worked just fine afterwards. Now you know what to grab if someone comes after you with a gun, plus you can hit them with it, assuming you can lift that hulking behemoth.

Nope, it wasn't the power cable.  My system shut down literally the day the power cable announcement was made.  My model was fine.  I even bought a new power cable to see if that was the issue.  It wasn't.  One day I turned it off and I was never able to turn it back on again.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 01:35:36 AM »
Sad and slightly ironic.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 01:36:39 AM »
Ya that happened with EUOL's roommate's Xbox too.

I have no interest in the 360 mostly because I don't own an Xbox and I'm one of those old-school gamers that only believes in having one console.  Not because I think one is better then the other, but because it's insanely expensive and a waste of money to have multiple.

I also think it's too early for next gen systems, when the PS2 was announced I had mine pre-paid for 8 months in advance but I just don't see much to be excited about when it comes to this next round of consoles with the exception of the Revolution.  But I've been playing video games for so long now I agree with Nintendo's statement that "It's not how much power you have but what you do with it", pretty realistic graphics don't impress me as much as they use to, I want new ways to play games instead of the same stuff that's been out there for the past 10 years.