Author Topic: City of Villains  (Read 9554 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
City of Villains
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:47:31 PM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: City of Villains
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
Yay!

I vote for the hot chick.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 11:13:20 PM »
Cool.  I was wondering when you'd start this.  The only thing good about CoH is reading your blog about it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:46:28 PM »
Part 2 posted! We will have images in the morning (or, more likely, afternoon).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:25:15 PM »
If you want to upload images yourself I can give you an admin account to my site's image program.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 01:04:34 PM »
Using e's site actually works really well--they're all uploaded, and in a gallery that you can view in entirety by clicking on one of the other pictures. The only thing we're waiting on is my distaste for actually coding the new pictures into the blog; I wait for e to do that.

Between now and then, though, like I said, you can still see the new stuff by clicking on an older image.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 01:27:14 PM »
Pictures are here.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 01:32:20 PM »
Muchas gracias.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 01:29:43 AM »
Some notes on the new blog:

1. I made a big deal out of Wychwinter's sleeves, and then realized that you can't see them in any of the screenshots. I'll try to get a good one and add it to the album.

2. The debate over Corruptor healing is especially weird when you consider that the best healing class in CoV is probably the Mastermind, not the Controller--they have more time and endurance to dedicate to healing, because their minions do most of the work, and they almost all have a pretty good heal.

3. On this same topic, I should point out that Wychwinter has no heals at all--just slows and other status attacks that make her more of a debuffer/crowd controller. She's still a primary damage dealer, though.

4. For the eventual travel power, I would give Wychwinter flight--it's just so good for ranged attackers--and make Experiment X-7 a super-leaper, because it fits his concept pretty well (i.e., a handmade supersoldier with boosted physical abilities).

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 12:23:34 PM »
My new vote is for Never.  Blog about her. (Fighters have always been my preferred characters -- I don't really dig magic.  And of the two fighters you've made, she's way cuter.)
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 05:34:27 PM »
You updated your video card right Fell?  These screen shots look better then the old UXB ones.  The water on the sea there looks great.

So as you might have read I picked this up dirt cheap at Media Play (using coupons) since they're going out of business and I had to use them.  That means Fell's getting a  Ghost Widow since I bought the collector's set!

Oh, also I got a free 14 day account with this (no CC needed) so if Tage or Mustard (or anyone else) wants one they can join me and Fell for free this Christmas. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 06:58:35 PM by Spriggan »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 08:33:21 PM »
A free ghost widow? Time for a slumber party!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 03:42:44 AM »
I'll bring my sleeping bag this Thursday.

Few thoughts after playing to level 8, these are mostly comparisons against when I played CoH last year.

1) There's finally a stealth class.  Ya, they'll probably get nerfed soon just like every stealth class in every MMO but I'm loving it.  I can one hit kill yellow level mobs and can take off 3/4 the life of an orange with my stealth attacks.

2) One of my other problems with CoH was I didn't feel much like a hero, I do feel more like a Villain in CoV.  I like the newspaper/information broker system so much better then the contact system the hero's use.

3) The free jet pack for the month take care of my traveling complaint.  I'm sure I wouldn't be level 8 by now nor enjoying the game as much if I was running around everywhere.  Seriously, until you get a travel power the game shouldn't place things as far out as they are.  

4) Level design is much better in these new zones then the CoH ones, mostly due to them being more diverse.  The zones aren't as boring to look at, also there are lot more NPC animations then a year ago.  I was running around looking for council members and would run into gang fights where the NPCs would be ducking for cover and hiding around corners as one group shot their guns then jump out and fire back.

5) Also it seams like combat has been sped up, I was playing one of my old heros and it felt like I was doing more damage.  It's been a while so I don't know if that's true, but for one thing my stalker kills things much faster then my Tanker or anything I made back in CoH and I don't even think I'm the highest damage stalker class.

---------
As for my character, I don't have any Screen shots yet so I'll have to post some later, he's a Energy Stalker (both energy attack and energy defense) named Shadow Scorpio.  He's the evil brother of my Tanker, Blaze Scorpio, I choose energy because of the confusion effect on many of their attacks since I like to solo.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 04:23:32 AM »
There was apparently a big defense nerf a while ago, so that may be why you're noticing the boost to combat speed.

And yeah...you're talking about all this stuff before I get to it. I agree though, there's a lot of nice new things.