Author Topic: review: Hammer and Sickle  (Read 3705 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: review: Hammer and Sickle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:03:44 PM »
May I repeat: this is a fun game.  The only sad thing is that the advance copy I got only had a handful of missions.  I want the real thing.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »
I really want to play this game.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 04:36:52 PM »
Ah -- two things I forgot to mention:  There's a superhandy LOOT button that you can click once all the badguys are dead -- it opens an equipment screen that contains everything laying around on the entire map (that you have already discovered).  This way, you don't have to run around and loot -- it's very handy.

Also, equipment now has a cost associated with it (where Silent Storm did not).  It's easy to find guns laying around, but it's often difficult to find extra ammo -- even at shops.  It's kind of a pain in the neck.

www.robisonwells.com

j. stalin

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »
I have a problem in the first town where there is an englishman who only goes out at night- the problem is i am cluelessto what to do...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 09:17:54 AM »
My general policy is just to shoot night-walking Englishmen. It's served me well so far.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »
The game keeps better track of day vs. night than Silent Storm did.  You need to go to that town during the nighttime -- you'll never find him if you go during the day.

www.robisonwells.com

yuri

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 03:41:49 AM »
I just finished the game (easy difficulty).
I think there must be some different ending for this game. I ended the game and WW3 started, I wonder there must be a way to avoid the WW3.

Here is my story:
I played as a granedier (STR 9, Dex 10, INT 2), it's pretty fast & easy to get rid an enemy this way rather than to shoot the enemy down one by one (I mean in close combat). If the enemy is too far away, use the rifle.

1. First town, there is five sentinel soldier in front of u. throw an explosive, u kill em all. or throw 2 grenades and finish the man who still standing using a gun or melee weapon.

2. wait until up to 9:53, the reinforcement will arrive. 3 groups, each group have three soldiers, so there is 9 soldiers. I just stand to the place where the reinforcement will show up. I finished all of them with grenades and a Luger pistol. Some civilian helping me kill these soldier.

3. get a radio, talk to konrad, u have a mission to get rid the bandit on Hamlet (new map will show up). wait until next morning until Sanders healed up.  if u don't need companion u can leave sanders.

4. Hamlet. talk to the bandit who is guard the wooden gate. He is agree to let u in, if u don't carry a weapon. leave all ur weapon on the ground, go to the left house, talk to sigmund, agree to take his mission, u can get another crew (Larry) who have a skill to disarm trap & picklock. or u can kill all the bandit, including Larry & Sigmund. u can still proceed to the next map, The Convoy. the different is, if u killed sigmund, Konrad will buy/sell ur weapon, if u were not kill sigmund, sigmund will buy/sell ur weapon.

5. Forest. before u goto "The Convoy" map part, Peter Claus will counter u at Forester map. He is totally bastard, u only have 3 option, 1. attack, 2. give him all of ur money and he let u live, 3. cooperate to the next mission, and split the money fifty-fifty. I just killed all of them, six in total. pretty easy if u're using grenade & sub machine gun.

6. The Convoy. kill every enemy. go back to Hamlet, if u let the bandit live, if u already killed Sigmund, goto First town. before proceeding to the next map, u will visit another place, which u must kill at least 10 soldier. some of it, is american, so Sanders will leave u. don't worry Sanders will join u again, once u arrive at the first town.

7. The Prison. I kill all the soldier, with the help of all the prisoner.

8. after that, u will have a duty which can not be avoided. u must hold the bridge & kill all the enemy. After u killed them all, the game ended, WW3 started ???  

I need help from all of u guys, I want to know ur story. Thanks a lot.  :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »
Man, I want to play this game. I didn't read all of you post though, because I was worried about spoilers.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 03:47:42 AM »
Funny, I quit reading the post after I hit a sentence full of "you" spelled "u."

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 02:27:24 PM »
Well now...  I wonder if I need to rethink my review.  I was under the impression that the incredible shortness of the campaign was because I had a preview copy, but yuri's account sounds very similar to what I played.  Could it be that there are only 8 (or so) missions?  If so, then I'm a little upset.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »
Bah. stupid school PCS.

Gamespot gave the game 3.6/10

Yes there are more missions, the same gamespot review said that the WW3 event prematurely ends the game.

Also, the story branches at points that are almost totally imperceptible to the player. Kill the wrong people at the wrong time (mainly Allied soldiers and civilians), and you can unknowingly set up an unstoppable slide to the start of World War III that will prematurely end your game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:33:53 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

yuri

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »
Hello House_of_mustard,

I so desperate looking for the clue, because I ended the game too soon. and it is not happy ending  :P

I just read Instructions for Saboteurs (Alt path walkthrough) at  http://www.cdv-board.de/english/showthread.php?t=51955

Well, when I play the game, I do some stupid mistake that trigger WW3.  ;D

In "The Black Post" right after you finish "The Convoy Map", where the Fake Russian killed the US soldier, you just have to kill that fake russian (4 men) and you have to leave immediately before US patrol show up. If the US patrol show up and you still there, they will attack you.

In the rest of the game, try to avoid US Soldier patrol, policemen, & Allies Soldier patrol. If you fight them, you can trigger WW3. you are supposed to prevent the war, not start the war  ;D

Red-Agent

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »
Hello People,

Somebody knows any possible way to avoid to kill the british soldiers at the Convoy? Yes, I know that is possible if you deny the "TNT Mission", but if I deny it, how can I get the false ID card to save my communist friend Fidel in the prison? I dont want to kill all the british who are in the prison! And I would like to avoid to kill the British soldiers in the Convoy? Somebody knows some clever and peacefull way? Its aways nice to avoid to kill americans soldiers, british soldiers and polimen. I dont want to cause a Third World War. Thanks comrades, and sorry about my english! It's not my native language.

Red-Agent
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:27:56 PM by Red-Agent »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 02:26:27 PM »
Dang, I really need to try this game.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net