Author Topic: Dance Dance Revolution.  (Read 4808 times)

Boris_Flinn

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Dance Dance Revolution.
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:37:14 PM »
How many people play and what skill level.
Hardest song i can do is probably Era on standard.
Its a six step.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:38:36 PM by Boris_Flinn »
To Live Is To Die.

I will have your respect I am a 9th level Ranger/knight!

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: Dance Dance Revolution.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »
I've got Extreme, Max and Max 2. I don't have Extreme 2 yet, but I will get it eventually.

I can do every song on Heavy or challenge with an A and spotted AA, except the Max's and a couple of the Paranoia's

and mostly B-C in the Double realm.

I'm wicked awesome I tell you.

:)

Nice to meet a fellow gamer in the art.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 06:04:39 PM »
I got DDR Max 2 because I thought it would be a fun way to exercise and really I was just annoyed by the layout of the game. You do three songs and if you don't totally suck, then you "win" and some stupid cartoon guys comes on with the credits. You get some weird symbol that I don't know what it means, and the book that came with the game, did not explain it at all. The songs are really annoying too. I just could not get into it. It was really disappointing after shelling out like $60 for the game and the pad. I'd really like to see a game company come out with something similar, but do a much better job at the layout with better songs and better way to learn the routines (i.e. have a way to do the combinations slowly, then speed up a little faster, and so on till you're doing the song full speed).

I realize that others like it, though. I'm happy for you. I wish I did.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:38:47 PM »
Turn off the "game over : arcade" setting in the options menu, simply change it to none, or off or whatever it is. This will disable the guy at the end with all the credits and allow you to play continuously.

Also, there are about 40-50 songs in the Max 2 that you have not unlocked. You get these songs by simply playing and earning points for every song you play, and thus unlocking material.

Also, you can play workout mode which is also continuous, and allows you to choose songs to play and keeps track of your calories you have burned.

FYI:  The Max's are more of an underground and imported styles of music, where as the extremes are more of an American mainstream sound (people you would know in the singing world, including Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, J-Lo, Britney S. yadda yadda yadda.

As for the symbol.. I think that is just the logo. It's been a while, but I know there is nothing of importance that comes up after ou beat the game in arcade mode. Just the credits and tells you how many points you have to unlock your next secret.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »
That's another thing that bugs. Every time I unlock something, it wants me to go check and see what it was. Annoying!

The symbol is different sometimes, so I think it means something (like how well you really did at the song, or something). I didn't see a way to turn off arcade mode. You can do a different mode, like workout, but I don't know if you unlock stuff doing that.

Either way, the game really bugs me and I tried playing it several times, and coming back to it after months had lapsed, and every time, I can't stand it.

Like I said, I realize other people like it and that's cool. I just don't.

I don't know what you meant when you were talking about Max and Extreme with one having more recognized music.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:41:23 PM »
They are different games.

You own Max 2,

Extreme would be a different DVD, and Extreme 2 would also be a different DVD.

I will have to look it up in the menu to see for sure how to change the game over mode. I am pretty sure that it just says "game over" in the options menu. and then has some choices by it.

Anyway, once you turn that off it won't take you to your new unlocks. it just unlocks as you play, and you will go through the list and see new songs periodically.

Anyway, if you hate it because of that, then that is changeable, so you might like it.

If you hate it because you hate the gameplay, than you might as well sell it.  :)

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
So when you say Extreme is a different DVD, do you mean a different game? Is it done by the same people? Same console? I think I'd have more fun if the song were ones I like to listen to. Also, if I could that annoying voice to stop that kept telling me what a great dancer I was!

Let me know about the options. I guess I just never really looked into it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 02:24:55 PM »
All the DDRs are made by the same people, and the music is different on each one.  But don't expect top 40.  I don't know if you can turn off the announcer voice but that's the point of the game, seriously if every little thing about the game annoys you just sell it, turn on your radio and move your legs up and down like you were stepping on the pad.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dance_games
Tink, if you like the concept, but don't necessarily like DDR, there are a whole bunch of other games that are similar.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
I haven't heard of any of these. I wonder if they're any good.

But don't expect top 40.

All I know is FMJ said:

FYI:  The Max's are more of an underground and imported styles of music, where as the extremes are more of an American mainstream sound (people you would know in the singing world, including Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, J-Lo, Britney S. yadda yadda yadda.

That's sound Top 40 to me. Maybe I can't get those type of songs in DDR, but if I can find a game that does have it, that would cool.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:45:53 PM by Tink »

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »
When looking at other games, "In The Groove" Is the only other one that managed to get somewhat decent scores from players.

there are two ITG's out.

Yes, you can turn off the announcer,
and yes you can turn off the crowd.

Those choices are in the sound options.

I personally like to keep them on, they keep track of the combos for you. and make you feel bad if you miss arrows.

the crowd is funny, as they are very fickle. one moment they are cheering you on and totally on your side, then you miss one arrow and they boo you to no end!! just like real fans! hahaha!!!

Anyone seriously interested should check out this site.

DDRFreak.com

THis has all the songs of everygame, how to unlock everything, tips for doing tricks and advanced step patterns, arrow lists so you can look at the arrows, a store for your metal pads or accessories, that kinda thing.

Anyway,

DDR is a great game to have going on in the background during a party I have noticed, SOme people love to make fools of themselves, and others love to make fun of people making fools of themselves.
But everyone has fun.

Anyway.

I have every song unlocked on every game if anyone wants the unlock files and is in the NSL  Utah area.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:26:15 PM by FirstMateJack »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 12:21:17 PM »
Thought I'd post this, there's a game coming out that will allow you to place any CD into your PS2 and it will generate "dance steps" on the fly.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/7/2/4505
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »
That's kinda cool! my only question would be the synching of the music and such, example is if it was a 3/4 beat, also the ability to put together advanced steps for different parts of the song that continue to follow the feel or beat, like a stream, or skip (yes, DDR makes you skip).

That is wicked awesome though, I will probably get something like that.

CookieReaver

• Level 1
  • I'm a music box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 02:23:59 AM »
Spriggan: That sounds really slick! I'd get it...

I've got Extream 3. I havn't played in a while, but I can get mostly As on light, and C to B depending on the song on standard.

It's so much fun... I should play some more tomorrow.

askreet

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • My Useless Webpage
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 08:40:53 PM »
I dont own any DDR games, I play strictly at the arcade (or used to until she stops maintaining machines...grr)

Anyway, i've AA'd Max 300, Paranoia Survivor and Sacura along with most 9 footers on Heavy.

It's good to see a few DDR players mixed into this community :)

- kyle
"Open any door, or use 5 Combat Dice on any monster within line of sight."

Uhm, duh.