Author Topic: DS Wireless  (Read 5211 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
DS Wireless
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:55:02 AM »
November 14th!  Yea!  If you don't have a wireless connection you can get a usb DS "wireless card" for your computer and then the DS will use that connection.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/10/05/wifi_screen001.jpg

So now I've got Mario cart (and that) to buy in a month, considering my shinny new Castelvania game (which reviewers are calling as good or better then Symphony of the Night) I've boughten more games for the DS in the past few months then any other system.  So glad I got this instead of a PSP.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: DS Wireless
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 10:33:47 AM »
wtomfrpg13!1! is that thing suppose to do?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

SprigganAtSchool

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:59:25 AM »
That's a DS wireless usb card.  Basically it for connecting to the net if you don't have a wireless router, you plug it into your PC and the DS then connects to the net via that instead.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »
Oh, how rad. I may have to get a DS now and look at... ummm, stuff on the library's wireless connection. Yeah. But that's cool.

When did you start going to school Sprig? Are you going back for something?
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:31:51 PM »
I started this semester in Multimedia design.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 04:29:23 AM »
So the DS doesn't like my router at home, or something like that.  It can connect to my router (and my router shows the DS as a connected device) but that's about it.  The DS cannot connect to Nintendo's servers for what ever reason.  Supposedly most Netgear router's are having this problem with Nintendo.

It's the first week so I expected some problems, was just hoping it would work.  Mario Cart is a fun single player game but I'd rather play vs people instead of bots.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 07:18:12 AM by Spriggan »

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:31:11 PM »
I'm not sure how soon your router will "like" Nintendo DS wireless.  From what I've read, there are very few routers the DS wireless DOES like.  This might be intentional on Nintendo's part, as you can shell out $30-40 for a Nintendo USB wireless router thing (I don't think that's the technical name for it, though) that is supposed to work just great.  Kind of a cheap trick, but nothing consoles haven't done to us before.

As a sidenote, I read an article on Gamespot today that said that Mariokart wireless was having trouble with interference from microwaves, other computers and the like.  That's a problem I think they'll be able to fix soon--but for now they have the genius idea of turning your microwave and computer off . . .

(And once I get my copy of Mariokart, I'm looking forward to going out in the world and proving my skills as a player.  I'll post my "friends" code here so that people can try to beat me.  Go ahead.  I double dog dare you.)  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:33:57 PM by Parker »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 08:57:47 PM »
Na, it's not anything on purpose.  Nintendo and Netgear have both said they're working on fixing the problem with their routers.  If Nintendo wanted to force people to buy their USB adapter don't you think they'd actually be selling it in stores?  You can only buy it via their on-line store.

I was thinking it was a firewall problem, but I've tried disabling it as well as adding my DS's IP to the DMZ and that doesn't work.

As for the routers DS doesn't like, that list is for only how hard it is to initially set up the DS for wireless with once you get them configures they work like any of the routers the DS does like.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 02:56:23 AM »
Here's the kicker, it works beautifully at work, though the CT's Wifi only covers the back of the hotel so I can't play it at the front desk.  >:(

It took all of 30 seconds to connect and configure.

Anyway here's my friend code

493980-785524

I'm going to try and play a game or two at work once it gets slower.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 06:45:50 AM »
Well I got 2 games in (4 tracks each) and it's much better then single players.  I won my first match and then tied for first on the second on.

A few thoughts, it's very simple there's not any game options for the wifi matches.  ie you cannot set how many races in a game, it's always 4, nor do you have much choice in who you play unless you're using the friends options.  The game just automatically selects opponents for you.

It is sad that some of the best courses aren't available in the wifi do to lag issues, there are lots of things going on in them, and that there is no VS matching for wifi that I've seen.  So it means you can only race and not battle.

I kinda like having no chat features or communication between opponents, it means you don't have to deal with all the stupid banter from 12 year olds, though it would be nice if friends could chat via the microphone or typing.

Now I just need to come up with a cool TWG icon for my racer.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 08:14:02 PM »
Just bought my own DS. Got Mario Kart and Animal Crossing: Wide World. My Kart Friend Code is: 386608-292219
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:02:11 PM »
I just bought Nintendo's Wifi USB so I'll be on it on weekends.

Just added Gemm to my friend list too.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »
Gemm doesn't exist.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »
Yeah... kind of lost my Mario Kart cartridge. Damn things are so small. I don't play much of Animal Crossing anymore either. It's kind of lost its novelty for me. Hopefully there'll be something new out soon that'll bring me back.
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 03:39:49 AM »
Hey Gemm, is they a way I can get your AC:WW friend code?  I need a code so I can open my gates and get access to the downloadable content.  If you can PM it to me that would be much appreciated.