Author Topic: The Day the Gaming Died.  (Read 7125 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: The Day the Gaming Died.
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 12:54:17 AM »
Hah!  There would be one if we weren't using a horribly outdated forum (this was done in 2001 I think)!  We do this too weed out the weaker specimens.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 02:57:14 AM »
Am I weaker if I never bothered to learn BBCode because I like HTML betteR?

.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59:59 AM »
yes. Yes you are.

BBCode, consisting of an extremely limited set of tags that are pretty intuitive, and all of which have buttons above for them, doesn't distract from your ability to learn HTML

For a link, click on that picture of the world with a file in front of it. if you hover over them and look at the info field at the very bottom of the browser window, it will tell you what each does (though most are obvious).

This has been my official "holier than thou" post for the day. Glad to get it done so much sooner.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 12:15:27 PM »
Also most BBtags are related to HTML 3 or below just with [] instead of <>.

As for your HTML skills....Well ok, I'm not going to be mean since I hate snobby web design people, I'd be happy to help you optimize your website and make it load about 3x faster by getting rid of those horrible tables and unnecessary Java script.  We could probably cut the file size down in half too.  I'd also lighten the link text (and other graphical text) they're too hard to read.  It may look ok on your screen, but your a Graphic Designer, most people don't have expensive monitors.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:19:06 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
yes. Yes you are.

BBCode, consisting of an extremely limited set of tags that are pretty intuitive, and all of which have buttons above for them, doesn't distract from your ability to learn HTML

For a link, click on that picture of the world with a file in front of it. if you hover over them and look at the info field at the very bottom of the browser window, it will tell you what each does (though most are obvious).

This has been my official "holier than thou" post for the day. Glad to get it done so much sooner.

Ah...I was expecting alt text from the button images. I should have checked the bottom as well. Thanks for the tip.

As for the other, I've been involved with various boards over the years and since almost all of them had the HTML enabled to a limited extent, I never bothered much with the BBCode myself. I'm sure I can figure it out if I apply myself though.

Spriggan: Hehe. Thanks for the offer. I am appropriately shamed by my tabled layout. The truth is, I threw it up super quick, over a year or so back, and then never bothered to relay it out in CSS. I actually play with CSS every day, and I keep thinking that I should fix the things you've mentioned, but my current job has kept me busy enough that sometimes I just shudder at the idea of coming home and working on web design.

(The problem with the colours is.....well, it's not that I have an awesome monitor. Quite the opposite. I designed it on the only computer I had at the time. A two year old laptop. The colour is scheiss. On my work computer, I can tell that the colours are too dark. I'm saving up, hoping to get a new computer soon and better monitors.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:34:55 PM by PixelFish »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
Ya, again why we don't allow HTML is the age of the forum and the lack of protection against malicious code.  The new forum can allow it if we want but I'll have to check to see what protections it's got against stuff.  Last thing I want is for someone to insert a virus or malware because we allowed unfettered HTML.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
That's pretty understandable. :)

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 04:05:45 PM »
Hey, an article that outrights everything I said.  
In the intrest of being Fair and Balanced I will provide a link
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2009492,00.asp
Alles!!!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 10:17:47 AM »
Uh, actually that article is saying the opposite of what you were saying.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:02:11 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:20 AM »
I think that's what he was saying, ent. "In the interest of being fair and balanced" means he was going to post the article even though it disagreed with him.  Probably the first sentence means "disagrees with me outright."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 01:02:01 PM »
Ah. I was reading the word 'outrights' to mean 'backs up'. My bad.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »
Brain faster than fingers.  
Sorry.
E is correct
Alles!!!