Author Topic: Wii November 19th  (Read 8914 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Wii November 19th
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 07:34:53 PM »
Go to a Target. They seem to be getting plenty's in. Around 20+ for each store. At least in my district. My store will, as stated in the internet "website" that we'll be getting about 40 of them.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 06:14:45 AM »
Wii Impressions:

It's small, much smaller then I thought especially the controller.  I spent probably about an hour just setting it up, had to get it to work with my router's security, download updates and do some other things.    Several of the channels aren't up yet (weather, news, Internet) but you can download games right now, haven't done so since I don't have the spare cash to buy any VC games right now.

Wii Sports is quite fun, except baseball which I loath, boxing is probably my favorite it's like mike Tyson's to an extent but to punch you use the controller and nunchuck and you can dodge too.  It's quite the workout, a few games and you'll fell like you were at the gym.  The other games are fun, Bowling is as good as everyone says it really does kind of feel like you're actually bowling.

Zelda: Like some people have said, the Wii controls feal tacked on, which they are, but you get use to them quick enough.  Shaking the wiimote to attack work's well when actually in combat but feels odd when swinging the sword to destroy scenery.  But using the analog controller on the nunchuck actually feels more natural then your standard controller, it's more relaxing to have your hands to your side then close together to play. Aside from that it's a very beautiful game from the textures down to the animations, very well made.  It's no PS3 graphics, but I wasn't expecting that.

Trauma Center (had to buy 2 games with my Wii): Haven't had a chance to play yet.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »
Opposable thumbs has a good writeup on how kids interface with the Wii.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/19/6025#Comments
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »
I have played the Wii, the Wii is cool. So say Wii all.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 11:10:43 PM »
heheh, your use of current pop culture saddled within one another is well done and made me laugh. You earned that.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 02:48:23 PM »
why don't you guys do a review of the Wii? It's not like we've had a review in the video games department in years.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 07:10:24 PM »
I'm very sore after playing this with Oldie's kids last night, like having been at the gym.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 04:07:10 AM »
I'm not surprised, given the kind of effort it took to beat Bubba by a mere two points. :P

But, to be fair, I'm extremely sore too. Probably from the three boxing matches.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 12:02:08 AM »
I'm considering getting one, do any of you guys know if you can get a controller for cheaper than $60?  That's outrageous, and you need the nunchuck for a lot of games... seems like it's not worth my money if I'll need to pay nearly the amount the console cost me to play with four people once smash comes out.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 12:27:30 AM »
a) Smash uses the GameCube controller as far as anyone knows (at E3 Nintendo said no Wiimote for it was planned but that could change) and those are like $10 on e-bay.
b) Nope, it's $60 and I doubt you'll see that drop any time soon.
c) Both PS3 and 360 controllers are $50 so it's not like the Wii's are much more expensive.  Due to bluetooth and such controllers are just more expensive then before, wireless isn't as cheap.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 07:08:19 AM »
I'm hoping they release A Link to the Past sometime as one of the virtual console games, although I didn't see it on your list, Spriggan. (I've been playing my Ocarina of Time again, while waiting hopefully for an Xmas Wii and Twilight Princess.)

(When the Wii came to our office, it got everybody out of the cubes quicker than the fire alarm does.)
.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 07:16:32 AM »
I'm sure that it will, Reggie (NOA's president) said that for US virtual console releases that they're waiting to release the popular games (like the marios and other zeldas) when there are droughts in good wii games so I it might be a while until you do.  Of course you could do what I did and just buy it for the GBA for like $10 used and play it on a DS.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 07:22:25 AM »
Wait...they released versions for the GBA and DS of A Link to the Past? *skibbles off to look*
.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 07:25:21 AM »
ya there's a fourswords/link to the past double pack out there for the GBA, I just play it on my DS since I don't have a GameBoy.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »
There was a letter to the editor about the Wii in the Daily Universe. Go to http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/62404 and then scroll down to the letter entitled, "The Problem With Video Games." I think you'll find it interesting  :P