Author Topic: The Gap: The root of all evil  (Read 2756 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
The Gap: The root of all evil
« on: September 27, 2002, 09:48:11 PM »
this is a quote from msnbc article I am not makeing this up:

In the afternoon, a dozen protesters stripped to their underwear while standing on the cut stump of a redwood tree they had placed across from a Gap store in Washington’s Georgetown neighborhood. The self-described “Gaptivists” chanted “We’d rather wear nothing than wear Gap” and accused the company’s owners of being involved in logging and running sweatshops.    
       “There are injustices going on all over the world and the Gap and the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are all part of it,”

What??!?!  Logging!  who would have guessed that the gap used saw dust in their jeans.  And I also love the grouping of the Gap with the world bank, Like the gap has any affect over Micro-Economics.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: The Gap: The root of all evil
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 12:36:51 AM »
You know there is a contemporary artist who specializes in protesting with public displays of mass nudity. I think the guy's name is Spencer Tunick. He's a photographer who gets large groups of people to go naked in a public space. I think I once heard that he got the entire audience at a rock concert to go "clothing optional" to protest censorship. I'm sure he was very upset about missing the entire GAP protest.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2002, 07:37:38 AM »
you know what the problem with mass nudity is? no quality control.

oh and spriggan the world bank is interested in development economics.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2002, 09:53:23 AM »
i knew about the sweatshops, but i had no idea about the logging. I don't buy GAP stuff at all 'cos of that

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2002, 04:31:11 PM »
Are there any clothing companies that don't use sweatshops? I'd be surprised.

I've seen some of that nude gy's work, Jeff, but I can't remember his name. I just remember that he was in the news a few years ago because the cops wanted to shut down one of his exhibits.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2002, 02:52:20 AM »
People are actually protesting the Gap??  Some of us just have waaaay too much free time on our hands....
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly