Author Topic: Georgia on My mind  (Read 1138 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Georgia on My mind
« on: April 23, 2003, 11:49:55 AM »

My mother was from Georgia, and so I find this news a little troubling.

It seems that our history is being eroded one thing at a time. Originally the Georgia State Flag was meant to hearken back to the British flag. Then it became associated with the Confederate flag. But the crossed blue stripes with white stars on an orange field wasn't even the flag of the Confederacy. In fact the offical confederate flag looked a lot like the US Flag. Red and White Stripes and white stars on a blue field. They called it the Star and Bars or Bonnie Bllue Flag. Untill the movie era most people knew what the real confederate flag looked like. It seems that movie directors thought it looked too much like an American flag in movies and replaced it with a lesser used flag from the war. It was orange and very distinctive compared to the US flag so it became a movie standard. Historically you were more likely to see a flag like the new Georgia State flag flown by the South during the war.
Now I like the new Georgia flag, but it seems a shame to change our history because people don't fully understand it.

So Georgia ditched the know confederate battle flag for the less well know (now anyway) Stars and Bars.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 11:54:38 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!