Author Topic: Chilling  (Read 1869 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Chilling
« on: June 11, 2003, 03:00:42 AM »
This is an article about a growing trend of internet suicide packs in Japan:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/922190.asp?vts=061020032240
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 03:14:59 AM »
Japan seems to have some serious violence issues.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 01:02:12 PM »
Wow. That is, in fact, very creepy.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 01:18:44 AM »
Hum.  I don't think Japan has serious 'violence issues.'  The culture is just so repressive emotionally.  

Kind of makes me sad, in a grim way, that they aren't doing it with katanas...
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 12:15:58 PM »
REminds me... some people say that the reason anime often features very strong female protagonists with a lot of freedom is that it often goes to japanese businessmen.... guys whose jobs are so de-humanising and stressfull and regimented that they project the qualitites they do not have onto female characters.

Best not to ask about the habit of those female characters to get a) naked b) killed or mutilated in a gory fashion.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 03:08:27 PM »
That is sick and really freaky.. but it doesn't suggest to me that Japan has violence issues so much as some really deep social issues. I hope their government will start to put two and two together on this.

No, its not my place to criticize the accepted practices of other cultures, but there are a number univeral truths in this world, and one is the fragility of the human psyche.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 11:12:56 PM »
Let me see, Japan, tried to take over Korea, atried to take over China (at least parts), warred among itself for a millenium or so, developed a "warrior society", had ritualistic suicide, had kamkazi pilots, creates anime, game shows that glorify a good physical beating, is the largest consumer of video games, creates children shows around "battle-games" and has internet suicides.

I don't mean to bash on Japan, but how does all of that not equate to having some issues with violence?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 11:40:06 PM »
I didn't say that I don't believe that Japan has violence issues. Only that this particular situation doesn't in itself suggest a violent culture to me, just a culture that doesn't pay enough attention to the emotional needs of its young.

Edit: I'm not saying that I DO believe Japan has violence issues, either. In other words I'm not taking a position on that in this thread. That is an entirely separate issue, imho.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 11:42:15 PM by Brian »