Author Topic: BYU Newsnet-stold site design  (Read 1254 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
BYU Newsnet-stold site design
« on: June 14, 2003, 11:29:12 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/ap20030531_835.html

lol the students who made the "award winning" newsnet got busted for stealing another sites design, includieng their graphics, tables and color sceme.  They had to give all their awards back.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 11:35:11 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: BYU Newsnet-stold site design
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 01:41:35 AM »
I am so not surprised.

BYU does a great job of emphasizing stealing writing medium as being plagerism, but they're terrible at addressing theft of visual mediums.

I've overseen a lot of student layouts and design projects in the College of Humanities and I see a lot that are stolen. Is it that hard to come up with your own color scheme or graphics?

BYU recently sent out an email, addressing that using any electronic file belonging to someone else can be considered stealing. It seams a little extreme, but BYU is good at going to conservative extremes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 01:46:18 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: BYU Newsnet-stold site design
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 11:20:20 AM »
On the other hand, the reason they blocked file sharing was NOT because it was theft or whatnot, but because of bandwidth issues.

At any rate, yeah. I can see why you'd object to the word "stealing" but I don't necessarily see that it's a poor word choice. It really is stealing ideas when you use an electronic file without permission and/or without acknowledgement.