Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 1775 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Fishing
« on: July 07, 2003, 01:05:19 AM »
So I went fly-fishing with my older brother and our nephew.

I managed to catch four good size fish, thus proving my ability to provide food for my family if I get turned into a caveman. My brother on the other hand was catching a fish about every five minutes. I attribute this phenomenon to a) his being a grown child-predigy with advance degrees in animal behavior, evolution and genetics; or b) he can talk to fish. In the case of the later, I assume their must be some interesting covesation coming from the fish, or else why would he catch so many. The fish must say something like this, "Help me, I can't breath, but thanks for the free body-piercing."

So is fishing just an insane sadistic pleasure left over from prehistoric ancestors, or is just a good waste of time?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 01:05:58 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 02:35:51 AM »
I love to fish.  It's one of my favorite past times to spend with my dad.  Unfortunately with my schedule getting out to actually do it has been a challenge, but I still go once or twice each summer.  We bass fish, not fly though.

My great uncle happens to be a world reknown fly fisherman, though.  I'm not sure where that is in the hierarchy of coolness, but I've always thought it was neat.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 07:48:36 AM »
Fishing is not something i am into. But look at it this way; catch lots of fish in one afternoon and you just saved on food bills. Get a good grill going!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 09:09:00 AM »
I likes fishin' as well. The problems are expense of lures, time to go somewhere nice to do it (Burke Lake is fine, but not terribly exciting), and people to do it with. One bro-in-law will come with. The other thinks we're boring and wonders why we don't want to stand in the hot, humid air surrounded by misanthropic, underdressed freaks in a line for an hour for a 30 second thrill ride at King's Dominion.

Anyway, it's fun to sit there throwing the line out. I can't explain it. I know it's not exciting, and there really isn't anything philosophic (except for the Zen aspect for some people) about it. *shrug*. But cool.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 09:42:04 AM »
Kinda like Cricket then. The only sport where spectators can fall asleep, then wake up and see nothing has changed.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 04:12:06 PM »
No, American football's the same way.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 11:45:05 PM »
Something like that. I think there may be something macho about it too though, catching animals and such. Not super macho, but something that in a small way affirms manhood

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 02:41:19 AM »
Fishing and hunting have sort of always been historically regulated to the men.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 03:31:36 AM »
I've never understood either one.  I just can't get into them.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch