Author Topic: Stone Cold Party  (Read 4863 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Stone Cold Party
« on: August 26, 2003, 10:27:40 PM »
So the ratings are out and once again BYU has taken the top spot as the most stone-cold sober college in the U.S. I love how they make BYU out to be more militant that the military schools.

Also, once again UC, Boulder has taken the top spot as the number one party school in the U.S. of A.

I think UC, Boulder and BYU should get together. They're only a nine hour drive apart. BYU could use some new blood to snipe at and UC, Boulder could use the designated drivers.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Stone Cold Party
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 10:38:17 PM »
question: how is being the dryest school in America more "militant?" I just don't get that statement.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 12:07:02 AM »
On CNN and MSN's websites they go to great lengths to mention BYU's honor code and use words like "strictly enforced" and "must follow", like a firing squad was waiting for anyone who breaks the honor code.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 12:51:44 AM »
dunno, sounds like you're being a bit sensitive.

it's a fact that BYU is sober
It's a fact that it's strictly enforced. What happens if you drink? even off campus?
and it's a fact that none of that is bad.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 01:23:46 AM »
SE, what?

I'm not upset at anything, just poking fun at it. I didn't mean to say any of it is bad.

Who cares if BYU has a honor code? It's the people who attend BYU who keep it sober, not the honor code. If someone where to show up to drunk to class they would be shunned by the whole campus. Then they would be refered to the honor code, where they would be disciplined and probably sent to counseling. A repeat offense or any resistance to getting help would get them kicked out. (Trust me I've met people who have drinking problems at BYU).

Also, the other schools in the running for most stone cold sober are all military schools.

Mostly I find it humerous that the number one party school and the number one stone cold sober school are within a days drive of each other. (actually if they built a tunnel under the Rockies and ran a subway, they would only be an hour or two away.)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 08:05:53 AM »
Councilling for showing up drunk? Er...

Since when is that a problem related to anything other than having poor timing? Some people did that to lessions i went to.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 02:13:52 PM »
Drinking is not allowed at BYU, on or off campus. Every student attending BYU signs an honor code policy saying they won't drink.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 02:26:53 PM »
Remind me never to go within 100 miles of this BYU place. It sounds horrifying.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 03:33:23 PM »
The people who do this list have a strong tendency to play up the strict side of BYU, and they do make it out to be almost military, so in that I think 42 is very justified in his statement.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 05:02:23 PM »
Feh. Maybe so. But you have to realize, this is because they think that what BYU shoots for is undesirable. WHile most people who attend (members at least) already strive to live the life is encourages (with some weird stuff thrown in, like the facial hair policy). So yeah, basically when people tell me BYU is too strict, I'm reminded of when that freak on the Chicago Bulls called Mormons "Damn Mormons." Basically I figure, if THAT guy doesn't like us, we're doing what's right. We're a peculiar people after all, people not liking what Mormons represent is only going to get more intense. We might as well ignore it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 06:22:52 PM »
Any place that restricts alchol at ALL times is, imho, a fascist wierdplace. What do the students do when they go out? Drink coke?

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 06:33:47 PM »
I guess it would be important to point out that BYU is a private university tied to and financially supported by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). One of the the beliefs/tenets of the LDS church is that alcohol and other harmful drugs should not be consummed. BYU's policy is in adherence/reference to that belief.

And we're not facist. ;) It's not a requirement to go to BYU. Nobody sticks a gun at anyone, trust me. In fact, most of my high school, LDS friends went to state colleges in California.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 06:39:50 PM »
If you want to drink, go to University of Colorado, Boulder. It's the other side of the mountain range.

I actually went to UC, Boulder to participate in twin studies. Even though I was only in junior high, I could tell that the students testing me and my twin were fairly out of reality.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 06:43:11 PM »
Also, Utah has a fairly anti-drinking culture. To a lesset extent, so does Colorado, which is surprising that Boulder has the number one party school. But Boulder is kind of an abnomoli in Colorado. It's a very liberal city in a conservative state.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 07:19:04 PM »
But Boulder is kind of an abnomoli in Colorado.

Woah. Has Spriggan broken into 42's account?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy