Author Topic: D.C. and stuff  (Read 5087 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
D.C. and stuff
« on: January 08, 2004, 01:10:34 AM »
So, I'm going to be in Washington D.C. and the Maryland area for a couple of days in Feb. My brother is getting married on Valantine's Day and I feel obligated to attend. So barring wedding events, I should have about two days to go sight seeing with my big-sister, her husband, two of my other older brothers and their significant others. So what is worth seeing? Please rate your suggestions in order of "must see first." This is the first time me and my siblings will be in the D.C. area.

Also, I'm planning a trip to Illinous in June. Another one of my brothers is getting married in Nauvoo. I'm thinking of making a road trip out of the whole ordeal. I will of course be seeing Nauvoo which is in the middle-of-nowhere. I will also be seeing Havana, IL which is just an hour or so away from the middle-of-nowhere. I'm thinking I would like to pass through Denver as I happened to once live there. What other places would be worth visiting between Provo and Nauvoo?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: D.C. and stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 01:27:17 AM »
I'm sure Jam would have some good suggestions for the latter. Between Provo and Nauvoo.

But seriously. You can't go wrong in D.C. by visiting various museums. And some of those grand buildings where people go, monuments as you call them.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 01:33:21 AM »
Um, WHY are you going to Havana? All they have there is a nuclear plant.

I may just have to make a trip home in June and show you around, 42. Not much to see around Nauvoo except Nauvoo itself and Carthage. Pop up to Chicago if you have the time. Too bad I don't live there anymore, but like I said, if I happen to be around, I could show you around up there too. Definitely do the scenic river drive along the Mississippi, which runs between the Quad Cities and down past Nauvoo--it basically means getting off the interstate in the Quad Cities and heading straight south instead of going inland in the state and coming back out, because of the way major roads are set up.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 01:34:49 AM »
Oh, wait--your brother lives in Havana, doesn't he. That would make a whole lot more sense. So you'll probably be approaching from the south, eh? Definitely see the St. Louis Arch if you haven't yet.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 01:58:10 AM »
Umm...Why exactly would I have suggestions about some place on the other side of the world I've never been to?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 02:15:04 AM »
My brother's fiance's family lives in Havana. My brother lives in Miami. To clarifiy, I have siblings in Madison, WI; South MD; Miami, FL; Memphis, TN; Heber, UT; Sweden; and Siberia.

My twin hates Chicago, but I think it might have a few things worth checking out. However, I'm most interesting in something of interest in the vast netherworld that is East Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, etc... You know what I'm talking about. That almost endless sea of farms and grassland.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 02:40:35 AM »
To give some of the non-US residents some perspective of how far it is for me to go from Provo to Nauvoo. Going in a straight line it is just about 60 miles more than going from Adelaide, Australia to Brisbane, Australia. It's almost the same as going from Edinburgh to Madrid. Course, there is a really big mountain range in the way that will cause a slight detour for me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 02:41:18 AM by 42 »

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 03:21:26 AM »
Ah, Illinois...home sweet home.

If you're planning on driving west out of Illinois you have to come through St. Louis (to be on a major interstate at least).

If you do come through here, drop me a line.  We could meet for a bit and/or I could show you some of the sites.

We'd have a little Missouri TWG meet.

In between St. Louis and Kansas City there is nothing except Columbia which has no sights, really.  In KC though you have to stop at Arthur Bryant's BBQ.  Best BBQ in the world.  Seriously.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 07:45:31 AM »
what do you want to see in DC? Art, History? Tech? i mean, there is TOO MUCH to see in a couple days, but i fyou have a focus

Going to the top of the Washington Monument has a 'neat' factor still, but it takes a lot of time. However, on a clear day, you CAN see the temple from there.

the temple is a fun stop, but it sounds like you'll be there anyway.

The holocaust museum isn't what you'd call "fun" but it's very interesting.

There's the national archive, which has the COnstitution and the Bill of Rights (the originals) on display

I enjoy the American History Museum a lot, but along those lines there's also the natural history museum and the Air and Space Museum

The National Geographic Building isn't as impressive as any of the Smithsonians mentioned above, but it is more compact and has a better gift shop.

Mt. Vernon is a nice historical spot. most of the original layout and buildings are preserved and it's a beautiful spot.

And on that note, Gettysburg is in driving distance, and Bull Run is local, so if you want to see some Civil War stuff... (you've got to go further south or north than DC for most Revolutionary war or Colonial stuff)

There are half a dozen art museums including two branches of the National Gallery and the Hirshorn.

Then there's all the other monuments. these are mostly best if you have something you particularly want to visit. The best ones are the Jeffeson, Lincoln, Korean and Vietnam memorials. the War ones and the Lincoln Memorials are all clustered, so they're easy to hit in quick succession.

for just city life, you have your choice between the atmospheres of Georgetown (hipper, more modern, upscale) and Old Town Alexandria. Old Town is my preference, and it has, as the name implies, architecture still being used that's older than the settling of Utah, including the tavern the founding fathers used to hang out in. It's a waterfront district, so there's great shopping and dining, and the Torpedo Factory (formerly a place for manufacturing torpedos, but not an art gallery). My favorite used record store is here, and a really nice home made ice cream shop. Plus Hats in the Belfry, which is just a cool name for a store that sells (obviously) hats. Street Musicians hang otu a lot, not sure how many you'll see in the cold of February though.

I'd recommend some scenic places, but you're coming in Feb, no leaves. Still, Great Falls might still be impressive, it being the cateract that prevents shipping traffic up and down the Potomac. Skyline Drive won't be impressive this time of year.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 08:39:18 AM »
Ah, Illinois...home sweet home.

If you're planning on driving west out of Illinois you have to come through St. Louis (to be on a major interstate at least).

Dr. P, are you a native Illinoisan? I don't think I knew that. I'm from Galva.

Depending on where he's wanting to go through, he doesn't necessarily have to go through St. Louis. There's I-80, too, which cuts through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and the Quad Cities, which is how I always went. It's too much of a hassle to add another 3 hours to the journey up from St. Louis (Galva is 45 minutes in from the Cities, south of 80 and north of 74).

But I've always wanted to make the I-70 drive through Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri. I hear it's much more scenic. And in June, you'll be hitting it at just the right time. Wyoming and Nebraska are brown and grey year-round.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 09:18:48 AM »
Dr. P, are you a native Illinoisan?

Or is it Illinite?

But I've always wanted to make the I-70 drive through Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri. I hear it's much more scenic. And in June, you'll be hitting it at just the right time. Wyoming and Nebraska are brown and grey year-round.

highly over rated. There is nothing scenic about Kansas. In climate and terrain it is nearly identical with Nebraska. And it seperates Nebraska from Oklahoma, I mean, there is NO good mix of those two. MO is alright, though I prefer the rocky sections. CO is nicer, I remember killing several hundred butterflies during my drive because there were just so dang many. If I remember right, you get to drive along the Colorado River for a while, which is nice in a rocky way.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 10:03:31 AM »
It's Illinoisan, pronounced Ell-i-noy-an. Or Illini, but that's to do with the mascot of the University of Illinois. I went there before transferring to BYU, which is why I call myself an Illini, but there are lots of Illinoisans who are fans of Iowa, especially in the west.

And I was thinking Kansas was much like Nebraska, but I heard Colorado was more scenic than Wyoming. That's one more scenic state than I-80 has. Though Iowa is pretty nice, too, in green months. But then, I'm biased--I like midwestern farm country.

Speaking of which, 42, I think there's a Mormon Trail monument in both Lincoln Nebraska and somewhere in the boonies of Iowa, so if you go that way you could see something like that. I-80 pretty much follows the Mormon Trail, at least in Iowa and Nebraska.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 10:28:40 AM »
Illinoiser?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 10:41:24 AM »
Illiner?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 11:00:12 AM »
Illinoisey?