Author Topic: Female geeks?  (Read 2532 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Female geeks?
« on: February 28, 2004, 02:44:32 AM »
So I've been thinking recently, which is usually a mistake. It seems that most "geek" activities are masculine. Being addicted to video games or trading cards or rpgs seem to be primarily a male stereotype. If a woman adopts these addictions, then they inherit a small measure of geekiness.

But are there geeky activities that are primarily feminine in nature. I can't think of much. Perhaps reading romance novels, watching soaps, scrapbooking or being addicted to talk shows. So lets say you know a woman who is addicted to talk shows, scrapbooking and romance novels. Would it be valid to classify her as a geek?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Female geeks?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 08:19:32 AM »
that would depend on how you defined geek. I know those who define geek as obsession and expertise in a particular field. So by that, yeah, they'd be geeks.
Your traditional geek, however, likes computers and games and comics and SF, science and math. So if you're going to be conservative and strict, than no, they aren't.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 10:43:17 AM »
No, I wouldn't call them geeks. "Geek" implies a certain obsession with an intellectual field, and none of the things you mentioned really do. I got called a geek once as a kid for all the reading I did, which is sometimes considered a fairly feminine activity--or, at least, the books I was reading could be considered feminine: horse stories, girl detective mysteries, fantasies with girl protagonists, etc.

Or we could just go with the real meaning of the word "geek" and say that none of us are circus performers who bite heads off chickens. (How embarrassing, by the way, is the way I found this out--when I got called a geek by this girl at church, my mom got all upset, looked it up, and called her dad to complain, saying, "Do you know what a geek is? In the dictionary it says..."  ::))
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 11:47:44 AM »
no, see, we're dealing with English here.

In English, a word essentially means what it is used as. If we can only use the word's original meaning, then most of our current vocabulary is messed up, including at least three words in your first paragraph.

I have NEVER heard "geek" used to describe a carnival performer except in the context of someone telling me that is the real meaning of the word. It is in fact, the LEAST real meaning of the word, because it is used so infrequently.

The only agreed upon part of the definition of the word by people who actually USE it is to imply obsession and expertise as I mentioned earlier (and which Stacer appeared to agree with, using the word "obsession" in her connotation). Generally, it implies the fields I mentioned earlier, with less emphasis on intellectual/academic pursuits than computer/technical pursuits.

Sorry about the spiel about how the circus performer is wrong, but I'm really sick of people telling me that it means that when it doesn't anymore. It did at one time, but then, at one time, "Thesaurus" meant "treasury," and by extensive use of metaphor, it came to literally mean a collection of synonyms. Anyway, it irks me that this definition even shows up except as a fourth or third meaning, when it is no longer used that way. It irks me even more than dictionary.com says it means "socially inept," though this definition is certainly used more often than "chicken head biter."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 12:17:47 PM »
Ignoring the ridiculous argument about circus performers....

Livejournals.  Not blogs, necessarily, but LJ.  I think that Livejournal is a primarily female thing, (guys have them, yes, but they don't spam their LJ's with pics, quizzes, and 4 posts a day).  It's a very female/social activity, but because it involves computers and the internet, obsession with it definitely qualifies as geek.

Also, (and I'm going to go out on a limb here) things like fanfic-ing and cosplaying are often a female-dominated field. You go to a convention, the women's costumes are more elaborate than the guys.

More later- must drive husband to work.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 12:57:50 PM »
SE, I should have put "real" in quotes. I didn't mean to say that I endorse that being the definition--it just brought up that memory about my mom and the bishop's counselor having it out because his daughter called me a geek, and she had NO CLUE what "geek" meant, which is why she looked it up in the dictionary. She'd never heard the term before.

Oh--and I was referring to the romance novels, etc., not the computer stuff about not calling the women geeks. I think, reading my post again, I was unclear on that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 12:59:54 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 05:54:20 PM »
Well, i know or know of 4 female roleplayers in my town. Compared to 40ish male. My current GURPS GM is female, much to Jampaladins surprise.

Nothing else to add, really, other than that SE is a whore for english lang arguements.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 05:59:26 PM »
Pasty little tart, isn't he?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 06:05:28 PM »
I am fairly sure that the word geek has gone through several evolutions in meaning. It is originally thought to come from a term for circus performers. When I ask my grandmother (age 95) what geek means that is what she thinks of. When I asked my parents and my older siblings what they thought geek ment, they thought is ment someone who is socially inept. It's really just seems to be the younger generations that associate geek with computers and technology.

I think I tend to use the word to mean someone who is socially lacking more often than I use to imply someone who is obsessive about something. Though I think I often connect both meanings together. So someone who is obsessed about a certain activity and therefor has become socially inept.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 09:35:20 AM »
Ok, I spent about three months defining geek for an English thing. To be a geek requires interest in geeky things such as computers or sci-fi. It also requires an obsession - if you have this obsession for something not-geeky, you have geek-like traits, but you are not a geek. Work with me here, otherwise Jocks are geeks because they're obsessed with sport and social interaction. I am *not* willing to allow jocks into my subculture.

Anyway, Girl geeks exist. They're rare though, rare like Francium (More reatcive ceasium, to the point it has only been theorised to exist. It disappears immediately because it reacts so fast). Which is typically why only the Alpha geek in any group has a geek girlfriend.

I know a female who is sort of a geek. I also know one who claims to be a geek, and really isn't. At Brisbane Anime Society yesterday, I saw several females who we're definately geeks.

I have never heard of a female playing a Role-Playing game. Maybe in Pom-land, but not in the real world.

Also, I must compare "nerd" and "geek" here. A nerd is often an insult, implies lack of social skills and status. A geek is like a nerd who transcends nerd-dom - they have the same traits and interests, but can actually have a social life. Both terms are insulting from outside, but can be used as a compliment from another within the culture.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 09:37:37 AM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 09:51:58 AM »
I thought you defined geek as "someone who is anti authority and has an interest in complex structures like computers"? Part of our discussion back when i read your short story.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 09:57:15 AM »
Yeah, that's another part of it. Up there ^ is my nutshell description. I spent four months on my actual description, and it took about three pages, and about six more pages of other peoples defiitions to put it into context.  But yeah, generally a distrust of authority is a part of geekdom. (In fact, it seems to be near universal, which is why this board is probably a bad sample space.)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 10:00:50 AM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 02:11:10 PM »
I have never heard of a female playing a Role-Playing game. Maybe in Pom-land, but not in the real world.

I'm a female, and I play role-playing games.  As a matter of fact, the last big campaign I was in consisted of four married couples--and all the wives played. We do exist. :)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »
yes, I'd like to defend my role-playing status.  I even *ran* a roleplaying game last semester, so ha.

Since you put so much time into it, what is a girl called if she enjoyes roleplaying, videogames and such things, but isn't obsessed with them?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 02:35:21 PM »
Since you put so much time into it, what is a girl called if she enjoyes roleplaying, videogames and such things, but isn't obsessed with them?

/me considers.

'Cute'?

Fellfrosch