Author Topic: Old Age is Killing me  (Read 2419 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Old Age is Killing me
« on: March 02, 2004, 08:24:13 PM »
Sooo, I haven't been on in like a month and a half.  Anyone wanna give me the 30 second catch up?  Anyone at all?  Well, then gather round my chillins and I'll tell you a tragic tale of my mom, and how she loves to ruin my life.

No don't get me wrong, my mom feeds me and clothes me and charges me only minimal for my shelter, but as with all parents, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Sometimes.  So I come home from school on eday and, well, she has wiped my computer clean.  No warning.  Not only was my several weeks worth of work report on there but also everything else that ever held any value that was digitally based.  So I'm friggin' pulling my hair out about this while she tells me she changed my AOL password and will not tell me what it is until I finish my weeks worth of chores, and then some.  Fun, huh.  This involves shoveling a driveway which is 1/7 of a mile long, while it is covered in about a foot or more of snow.  Not kidding, huge winter this year.

Luckily I got my neighbor to plough it for me, but I still had a crapload of stuff to do.  So i finally get done, after about 5 days of nothing but eat (very little), sleep (even less), school (during the day), homework (when i was supposed to be sleeping) and work (every other part of my day). After I have finished I come to reak my glory, and she exclaims she has no idea what I am talking about.  

Thats right.  None.

So I try my old password.  Doesn't work.  She accompished erasing my contact to the internet completely.  Isn't it GRAND!?!

And during these last weeks she's been really nice to my sister and really mean to me.  WHAT DID I DO?  I like ranting about my mom to other people, by the way, so it doesn't accidentally slip out at her.  But, it's hard for me to handle this kind of stress without dairy.  I NEED MY DAIRIES AND MEATS!
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Old Age is Killing me
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 08:33:07 PM »
well when you get a chance change the password yourself, set it so that you have to type it in every time and memorize it so she doesnt know it. then password protect everything on your computer to prevent someone from destroying valuable information.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 08:34:55 PM »
all you need is a dos disk or a windows installation disc to format a hard drive. She doesn't have to get in.

That's pretty psycho though.

On the other hand, from your rants, it seems you could expect it. Start doign weekly backups

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 08:35:05 PM »
oh and are you old enough to buy a gun?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 08:59:33 PM by ElJeffe »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 11:13:27 PM »
First, I'm impressed that she knows how to wipe a computer clean.  She formatted your C:?

Second, anyone who would arbitrarily erase someone's disk is PSYCHO.   I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume that she had no idea how much damage she was doing.  Even still, that's just crazy.  Aside from doing serious physical harm, I can't think of anything that would be more traumatic for me than having my computer memory wiped.

Third--passwords and backup.  Looks like your only recourse.  It's a good idea anyway.  I keep my novels backed up in about a dozen different places.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 02:58:28 AM »
ya, I could see my mom trying to change my internet password so she could get me to do chores, then accedently blowing up my computer.  She knows very little about PCs.  Is that what happened?  Or did she purposly delete everything?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 05:05:49 PM »
Well, shes more than fairly knowlageable in the art of friggin things up, i mean, when it comes to computers.  Our computer was running a little sluggish so she thought it had a virus, and as she has no job or anything to occupy herself with, she likes making screwing lots of stuff up.  So she wiped the memory in hopes it would run faster.  She, unfortunately, does not know how to set it back up so my dad and me have to do it...

Also, I did have my essay backed up, but that doesn't change the fact that she deleted it...  but my flashes wont fit on floppies and I had no access to rewritable CD's. so bye bye hours upon hours of work.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 11:58:25 PM »
At my age, her erasing my hard drive (uh, had I had a hard drive.  My first computer only had two floppy drives--one to boot off, and one to write to) would have deleted my first fledgling attempt at a novel.

That would have made me very, very unhappy.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 06:59:01 AM »
thats so messed up...
in the military we would say she knows enought to be dangerous.

you did tell her that Format C is not usually the best way to deal with a virus right? At least not from a user/owner point of view?

Sounds like someone needs their own computer

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 07:32:25 AM »
Telling Gorgon's mom anything is like talking to a tree. An angry tree, which throws you out of it's house for no reason.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 07:50:30 AM »
well so now it sounds like your dealing with someone whos abusive.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 09:16:29 AM »
woah now. Before we start talking about abuse, let's consider the source. Now, it's not that I don't believe Gorgon and ONion, but they're what? 15? And have definite ideas of what they should be allowed to do. Sorry guys, but I don't think of you as the most reliable of sources when it comes to objectivity about your mom's behavior.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 06:44:54 PM »
No, shes not abusive, but she does throw people out of our house for no reason.  Shes not big enough to hit me and get away with it.  You must remember my dad is awesome and would not allow anyone to hit me, and considering his bisep is almost as thick as my head and he has a black belt, even if my mom wanted to she couldn't.

Back to her throwing onion out of my house for no reason, it's true.  We had a preplaned rendevous at my house to play video games on thursday, which she knew about.  He and another friend of mine hitched a ride with my other friends mom.  She insisted on getting us something to eat, ya'know, to help my mom out (not that she cooks anyway, but other people don't know that).

We get home maybe 10 minuites late, I walk into the door with my two comrades, she flips out, takes some of the food and physically shoves them out of the house.  She then sits down, and starts chomping on free grub with a smug look of victory about her face.

I then ask, in a nice tone mind you (I was afraid to do anything else),"What was that about?".  Her response was," What was what about?  Oh, by the way, I need you to do the dishes, make diner and vacuum the floor before you do anything else.  THANKS!".  With a grin she chomps down the rest of the food she didn't pay for and made a "scurry off" motion with her hands.  
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 06:48:02 PM »
Abusive theory now being replaced with mentally unstable theory.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 06:51:52 PM »
Now you're getting the idea.  But my dad kinda evens it out.  He's like Saint Ehthers, only with a black belt and an angry side which shoots of if I don't listen to the phsycopath, I mean, my mother.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke