Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 4308 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 05:34:41 AM »
What did you think of tonight's unprecedented drama, where Nemov scored a 9.725 on the high bar and the crowd booed for 10 minutes until they changed the score (to a 9.775 which was, announcer Bart Connor agreed, still too low)?

I was astounded. And extremely entertained.

I would have booed too.

Personally I think they should change the scoring to be like diving scores, where the scores are totaled and then multiplied by a degree of difficulty. Earlier on the vault there were a ton of identical scores (which Bart Connor was amazed at, clearly superior or inferior routines being given the same scores) that had to be broken by annoying tiebreaks.

Also the whole "no more perfect 10s" thing sucks; that one dude tonight perfectly landed that vault he's been doing all week, the triple somersault half twist, an absolutely crazy vault, and they grudgingly gave it a 9.900. (Too bad he flubbed the landing on his next (much easier) vault and ended with the bronze.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 05:40:45 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 09:44:27 AM »
I think any time that the outcome of a sport is determined by judges, you're going to have trouble.  Nemov totally deserved the silver (there's no arguing that the Italian shouldn't have won gold), but Nemov got the shaft.

Still, I don't believe in changing medals.  It's like any other sport -- refs make bad calls all the time that affect the outcome of the game.  Look at football: refs probably only call 1/5 or less of the holding calls.  But that's just part of the game.  The results aren't ever overturned.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »
since I know you're all still wondering about Australia beating the pants off North America, don't worry, Dinosaur Comics has the answer

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2004, 11:55:41 PM »
So team GB (as they are called) took home 29 medals. Best since the LA Olympics apparently.

USA took home 103. Australia 49. We hate you all.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2004, 12:29:01 AM »
Its good to be an upstart colonist! :D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!