Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 4483 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Olympics
« on: August 15, 2004, 07:51:34 PM »
Well, someone has to start a thread on this. Feel free to rant and rave about the Olympics, whether you adore them or hate them.

For my part, I'm very dissapointed. Though I liked the very post-modern and slightly surreal opening ceremonies. The real problem is that the US is just sucking so far. The Olympics are all about showing US superiority and so far we're behind China and *blink* Australia. We'll at least we're ahead the Russians. Course, it's early, I'm still hoping that the US will pull ahead and all will be right with the world.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 08:52:49 PM »
The olympics are great. I loved the opening ceremonies with those statue people.

It's about showing US superiority? Oh my word.

For me the olympics are about rooting for the people with underdog-like stories on one end or on the other end seeing people dominate and get world records (no matter what country they're from).

It USED to be about the USA vs. the evil empire USSR, but that's just not important anymore.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 10:46:04 PM »
Still puerto Rico shouldnt be allowed to compete as a seperate country. Thats like Alabama sending its own team to the olympics.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 01:58:53 AM »
Puerto Ricans are US nationals, not US citizens. Pretty sure Alabamans are citizens.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 02:31:44 AM »
Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth within the United States acquired by the U.S. in the 1898 Spanish American War. It does not have representation in the U.S. Congress, is not fully subject to U.S. income taxes, and operates in government and business spheres primarily in Spanish. Its political parties differ from the Republican and Democratic parties found on the mainland. Its citizens are also U.S. citizens, however, it is in most respects treated legally as a U.S. State, it is subject to the authority of the federal courts, and it is within the national defense perimeter of the United States. It has is own elected government similar to that of a state government in the United States, but with somewhat greater authority over local affairs in practice

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 03:26:04 AM »
Of course the aussies are doing well. They are a nation of sport maniacs.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 06:02:34 AM »
I take offence at tha..

Oh, hang on, you're right. it's a bit sad that the highest achievement in our country is to be able to skillfully kick a ball.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 06:09:51 AM »
My mistake. I believe what I said still applies to American Samoa...

Well anyway then, I don't really know why it has its own olympic team. Must be something to do with that high degree of autonomy thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 06:11:24 AM by OoklaTheMok »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »
I say we revoke their citizenship... ;D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 07:29:34 AM »
yeah! And make 'em speak English!

then we can make them compete against the New York team in synchronized street gang dancing! Because, y'know, everyone's scared of a dancing street gang. though, admitedly, not for the reasons you're typically scared of a street gang.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 09:04:24 AM »
As in, "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet, all the way from your first cigarette to your last dyin' day..."?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 09:11:05 AM »
just stay coolie cool boy.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 10:58:26 AM »
Every Puerto Rican's a lousy chicken, as they say.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »
The annoying thing about Puerto Rico beating the US is that a lot of the Puerto Rico players were all under consideration for the US team. They are mostly NBA players. It's just so self defeating.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 03:57:56 PM »
and that was kind of my point.

It'd be like sending a team of basketball players from NC State to the Olympics...