Author Topic: Teacher bias  (Read 1351 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Teacher bias
« on: December 29, 2004, 08:36:06 AM »
I found this article to be interesting:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/12/28/academic.freedom.ap/index.html

I mostly found that english teachers were the prime offender. In my education classes, I would often argue with english teaching majors who seemed to be trying to teach everything, but english.

I actually don't have anything against a teacher expressing his or her own viewpoints, just as long as they are aware that they are doing so and that they shouldn't expect the whole class to agree with them. I have problem with teachers who are too unaware for their own leanings to seperate it from their grading.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Teacher bias
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 09:25:48 AM »
I had much less problem with people supporting opposing viewpoints than others. To be honest, I certainly felt some bias against my paper using Darth Vader as a Faustian figure, but I was awarded a nice grant to buy and write about comic books. Yes, one Don Quijote professor was pretty biased against alternative viewpoints, but my other DQ prof and my Asian Lit professors were very encompassing in their acceptance of alternative views.  

Also, those students who are upset about reading hte qur'an? Sorry, it's a legitimate scholarly request. The book has a big and a growing impact on the culture of today, literarily, socially, and politically. If they don't like it, they can go to another school. It's not like public school where they're legally required to attend. They need to get over it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Teacher bias
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 09:25:58 AM »
best line
"These people are such sissies," he said. "I get hate mail every single day. What can I do about it? It's called the Internet."
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.