Author Topic: Someone let EUOL out of his cage?  (Read 9084 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Someone let EUOL out of his cage?
« on: May 22, 2003, 04:34:53 AM »
I am bitterly disappointed at the lack of security measures on that one... innocent bystanders may be at risk with a rabid nutcase like the senior sanderson let loose in the forum. We must take measures to halt his stampede.

I vote for using the same gas the russians did. Its fun, its cheap (otherwise the russians would not be using it) and we get to murder people and say "we did not think it was that powerful..."

;D
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Someone let EUOL out of his cage?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 08:43:47 AM »
No no no, most of us are Americans. We prefer to do something that's obviously our fault and then blame it on a Middle Eastern nation or organization that none of our citizens know much about.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 09:19:40 AM »
Still bitter that the american president is doing the right thing despite all the wobbly liberals and bleeding heart brigade types warning about a nuclear armageddon?  ;)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 11:48:30 AM »
Feh. I hardly believe that trampling on the civil rights of human beings and ignoring U.S. Constitution in the name of "fighting terrorism" is "doing the right thing." For me, it was never a threat of nuclear war, it was making choices about how we were going to treat humanity.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 11:58:37 AM »
So it is now a civil right to be oppressed?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 12:01:43 PM »
Feh, again. Figured you'd bring up that even though I was referring more to his abundant abuses of due process and privacy rights to his own citizens. But yes, he's doing it there too. American copyright laws for their country, being run by American military officers and govt officials. Hardly sovereignty is it?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 12:09:34 PM »
America ran germany after WW2.
America ran japan after WW2.

What would you do? Win the war and then say "Ok, thats that. See yah" and then dissappear? Someone has to control the country until the organisations etc are all up and running.

abundant abuses of due process and privacy rights to his own citizens.

Please don't tell me your still wounded over your precious UN? "due processes" my ass.

And the privacy rights thing? If they prevent another 9/11 i think that it would be worth it...

American copyright laws for their country

Hey. Nobody is making them keep them after you guys leave. And feh. Somehow i doubt george bush picked up the phone to the RIAA and asked them to send someone over.
Besides, i think americans are more oppressed on that count...

Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 12:09:50 PM »
I love how quickly a post about EUOL turned into a political argument.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 01:31:27 PM »
I'm only going to comment on the copyright laws bit -- I think its interesting that your worried about Iraqis being forced to adhere to American copyright laws, when what we've just done is liberate them from a brutal dictator who, among other things, carefully controlled the press and tortured and executed people who spoke poorly of him. Copyright laws only really become an issue when you have Freedom of Speech to begin with.

As for American copyright laws, I will say they tend to be an inconvenience for someone as poor as I am, but I still believe that they are a vital part of our legal system. These days its more important than ever that a person or company is allowed to maintain their rights to IP that they've produced. Point being, I don't think anyone is actually "oppressed."

Ok, I'm through.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003, 01:32:14 PM by Brian »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 04:03:59 PM »
<sigh> The difference between running Japan in the late 40s and running Iraq now is that there are plenty of expatriates and even current citizens opposed to the Baath party capable of leading the country.

And maybe Bush didn't make the call, but someone in his admin. did. And that's what we have: the RIAA writing copyright laws for a foreign county..

And no, I never ever talked about the UN. I'm talking about the detention of AMERICANS by AMERICAN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES without any trial or even the consultation of an attorney simply because they have ancestry of a Middle-Eastern country. I'm talking about illegal search and seizure of vehicles at airports without probable cause, even if the driver or owner remains in the car and has no intention of getting on a plane.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 12:26:56 PM »
Bah. I cannot be arsed right now to reply to SE's latest comment. However...

<Treen> did you hear?  hillary rosen, the lady from the RIAA will be writing Iraq's new copyright law.
<+Antiarc> Yeah
<Treen> god help those poor f***ers.
<+Antiarc> No kidding
<AshPlissken> Are you s***ting us?
<Treen> nope.
<+Antiarc> You know...
<+Antiarc> Actually, that's brilliant.
<+Antiarc> Bush is a freaking genius.
<+Antiarc> See...
<+Antiarc> ...he lets Rosen goes in...
<+Antiarc> ...she sets up copyright law...
<+Antiarc> ...Bush bombs her to free the Iraqi people from another oppressive dictator.

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 04:12:27 PM »
Muwwahaha.  My see how my evil powers turn forum member against forum member?  

Yes, I am back.  Grad school demanded a lot of my time this year, as did several authorial issues.  However, for the summer at least, I shall return.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 11:57:58 PM »
You always did have a disgruntling effect on people.