Author Topic: Cookie Rehab?  (Read 2939 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Cookie Rehab?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 10:07:36 AM »
Forget Cookie Rehab, I'm in the mood for a Cookie Kebab.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 06:13:30 PM »
How dare a show aimed at helping kids learn and grown and understand the things they need try to teach them healthy habits! Why! They might as well be telling them to brush their teeth and not kill people! How horrid! Obviously, CNN guy's childhood memories are much more sacred than the futures of the children watching this show!

Who is acting indignant over this? At the ending of the article, the journalist comes to support, or at the very least accept, the change they made. I wasn't upset about it, I just said that it was sad, as did the other people who had a problem with the change. No one has said that it is an offensive change. So don't be so quick to mitigate other people's opinions like such:
They're delivering what the kids want and need. Not what some teenager -- and especially not what some CNN reporter with too much time on his hands and not enough work to do -- wants them to be.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 09:52:18 PM »
and especially not what some CNN reporter with too much time on his hands and not enough work to do

Yeah.  He should be like the rest of us...completely productive and never talking about anything inane or unimportant!

Oh wait... ;D

I think the whole thing is sad, because if Cookie Monster isn't addicted to cookies, he's not much of a Cookie Monster, is he?  He's more of a Cookie Connoisseur.  And that just doesn't have the same ring to it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 10:42:57 PM »
Yeah well, Maria and Luis haven't run the Fix-It shop for the last few years either and we all got along ok.

But Scott Kurtz seems to agree with y'all

http://www.pvponline.com/

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, with the guy from websnark.

http://www.websnark.com/

(warning: swearing)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 02:11:25 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 09:14:06 AM »
The CNN guy was indignant for most of his article, and it's just a stupid approach to take. ANd Kurtz is indignant about it too. I think it absolutely retarded that anyone thinks that this is a choice between semsame street trying to send good nutrition messages and parents not teaching. And that Kurtz's comparison are marketing trademarks. This whole debate is stupid.

Yes, I used the word stupid, and I don't intend to take that back.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 04:02:14 PM »
Wow.  That was unneccessary.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 05:44:44 PM »
SE, I don't see why you are so upset by this. Nobody else from the board seems to be, we are just expressing opinions, whereas you seem to take this matter personally. I don't get why this issue is worth getting upset over.
I think it absolutely retarded that anyone thinks that this is a choice between semsame street trying to send good nutrition messages and parents not teaching.

For my part, I did not say that it was a choice, one or the other. I did say that it is the parents' job to see that their child has a healthy diet. And if the parent doesn't do so, that Sesame Street is not going to help, especially considering that parents do the grocery shopping, prepare meals, etc. Therefore, I find it unnecessary to take away from the humor of the show, to deliver a well-meaning, but not very useful message.
The CNN guy was indignant for most of his article, and it's just a stupid approach to take

Being indignant is a stupid approach to take? I would say that you are being pretty indignant over this whole situation, so I think we should establish that being indignant isn't inherently a stupid approach.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 05:53:06 PM »
let me clarify soem things here.
Archon, I never, never NEVER said you were upset.
Fish, I never, never NEVER said anyone here was stupid.
I said this debate was stupid. I think that the people who are indignant about Cookie Monster, and yes, there ARE those people, and NO, I never said people here were among them, I said that THOSE people were engaged in a stupid activity.

If you take issue with that, I suggest that you are FAR too sensitive and are just ready to take offense and find me cruel. Which, personally, I think a lot ofpeople are startign to do with me. I can't help that. Go see a counselor for it.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »
There is really no reason for you to say nasty things like that.  I don't see why you have to get personal about it.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2005, 08:20:24 PM »
SE, I know you weren't saying I was upset. I was asking why you were, because I don't understand what makes this issue so angering to you.

As for your comment about counciling, I think you need to realize that that could qualify as a low blow. Which is fine, assuming you are prepared to receive low blows, which I don't think is something that anyone wants to see on the board. So, in the end, I think that was really out of place, and you are getting defensive when nobody is attacking you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:22:50 PM by Archon »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005, 08:22:55 PM »
It sure felt like a low blow, and that doesn't seem fine to me.   :'(

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »
SE, breathe.

In 24 hours come back and look at this thread.  You are being unnecessarily hostile.  

Saying the debate is stupid is fine, but  "You're all too sensitive, go see a  counselor for it,"  is over the top.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:31:04 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 10:53:15 PM »
I am tempted.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 11:02:30 PM »
Violent, angry debate.

Lock.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy