Author Topic: Cookie Rehab?  (Read 2940 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: Cookie Rehab?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 07:07:32 PM »
Yes, because children that day are choosing their own diet...I think it would be more effective to open every episode of The Simple Life with an interesting fact on nutrition and fitness to counteract with the IQ points dropped from watching the show.  Scratch that.  Make it a gross interesting facts...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 09:51:41 PM »
You know, i saw that article.  And I tried to be upset, but I just couldn't.  I don't mind one bit.

I mean, I bet you didn't see the episode when he had the cookie flu and getting anywhere near cookies made him sneeze convulsively.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 10:01:08 PM »
I didn't see that episode and I'm still finding it hard to get my dander up.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 10:06:58 PM »
But I love cookies. (not the computer kind)
They are delicious.

Now I will have no one to share my addiction with.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 10:46:11 PM »
I personally find it disgusting that people actually go so far as to change this, when many parents will not take responsibility for their own kids. (No offense to the parents on the board, I hope you know I am not referring to you) They think that this is the way to keep kids away from obesity? How about reducing the huge amount of McDonald's food that they eat? Like Gorgon said, it isn't like the kids that make up the most prominent viewer demographic of Sesame Street are choosing their own diets. This just shows me that parents, and people in general, need to start taking more responsibility for their actions.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:25:13 PM »
Of course they do.  But the thing is you and I both know that millions of parents never will.  So sesame street, whose producers care about kids, I feel, are trying to teach *something* good to those kids whose parents never spend more than 5 min a day with them.\

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 12:05:23 AM »
Yes, unfortunately, I do know that. However, the kids that you are describing, the ones who are ignored by their parents, to succed they would have to be highly motivated children. They have to be motivated enough to learn things on their own, because if their parents aren't going to teach them what every good parent should, then they will have to find that knowledge on their own. I see where you are coming from, saying that Sesame Street is trying to fill in that gap. But, if a child is motivated enough to go out and learn all of the things that they need on their own, I should think that obesity would not be an issue, unless, of course, it was genetic. If they turned their mind to having a more healthy diet, then they would have a more healthy diet. If not, then they won't, and the tv show isn't going to make a difference in that. So, in conclusion, it was with good intentions, but I think that it would be of more service as a source of humor. I personally remember thinking that the Cookie Monster scarfing a whole plate of chocolate chip cookies was hilarious, and if there is anything that the kids who are neglected by their parents need, in my humble opinion, it is a good laugh.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 12:14:14 AM »
I guess I just think this CNN guy is making a big deal out of small beans.  It's NOT the first time they've had cookie monster do this.  In the 80's there was a Cookie Monster  rap song called "Healthy Food" about how you cant' eat cookies all the time.

Why is this such a big deal now?  Just because america's parents are getting worse?

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 12:28:59 AM »
To me, it is a big deal now, because I wasn't aware of it before. And, also, I feel that it is showing the underlying problem, that too many people don't care enough to do something for their own kids, so they expect someone else, generally the government, to do something for them. So much responsibility is being delegated now, that the government is gaining leeway to put more restrictions on people, because many, if not most, want the government to run their lives for them.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 12:33:55 AM »
Ok, CNN guy sees this development as a bastardization of his childhood memory of Sesame Street.

You see it as.... part of a movement that will increase government control over our lives?

Dude.  It's a freaking kids show.  I feel like you're wasting your time being upset about this, but hey this is the TWG and far be it from me to tell you how to waste your time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:34:30 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 01:52:51 AM »
I see it as both, actually. And I am not upset, fuzzy. I do not get upset often, and it would take much more than this to cause it. I just think it is sad.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 09:13:51 AM »
How dare a show aimed at helping kids learn and grown and understand the things they need try to teach them healthy habits! Why! They might as well be telling them to brush their teeth and not kill people! How horrid! Obviously, CNN guy's childhood memories are much more sacred than the futures of the children watching this show!

See, I don't think it's trampling anything sacred. Whether or not parents are supervising their children is irrelevant. Sesame Streets ENTIRE PURPOSE is not to entertain you or come up with a cool marketable property. It is to educate children. And proper diet is part of that education. Frankly I'd be upset if they never did it. I'm having a real hard time understand how anyone can maturely make the jump that this is something offensive. Sure, there's something a little sad about the character of your memory being modified slightly, but Sesame Street doesn't exist to feed your nostalgia -- which so many 80s and earlier properties have become. Unlike Fat Albert or the Smurfs, Sesame Street is still in production and keeps updating itself to keep up with what kids like and what they need. They're delivering what the kids want and need. Not what some teenager -- and especially not what some CNN reporter with too much time on his hands and not enough work to do -- wants them to be.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 09:28:15 AM »
I don't find it offensive. I'm just sad that my kids (if I ever have any) might never know the joy of watching a blue-furred cookie-addict OD on sugar and starch goodness.

I liked Cookie Monster, and Oscar.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 09:59:52 AM »
well, I don't honestly think that they'll never show him chowing down again.