Author Topic: Just what English Teachers have been waiting for  (Read 1544 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Just what English Teachers have been waiting for
« on: April 23, 2005, 09:35:26 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/22/text.iq/index.html

Okay, maybe it has nothing to do with English teaching, but it is yet another sign that our society is too stressed out.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Just what English Teachers have been waiting f
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »
Erm.  There's something wrong with their methodology:

Nine out of 10 people thought colleagues who answered messages during face-to-face meetings were rude, while three out of 10 believed it was not only acceptable, but a sign of diligence and efficiency.

9+3 = 12 (out of 10).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »
Well maybe writing articles on the internet is even worse for the IQ than email.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 11:23:46 PM »
I love how the headline of their article isn't a purely moronic statement.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:21:59 AM »
actually,that doesn't necessarily mean a factual error. It is possible bat 20% of the population thinks that the activity is rude yet acceptable.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »
And considering the growing acceptance of rude behavior...
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 02:51:52 PM »
I kind of wonder what the underlying issue for Americans is that causes us to be so conerned about being productive?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
I dunno. Does america have the same numbers? that study was done in London.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:45:50 PM »
Despite what may be common myth "Fat Lazy Americans"
The USA has a massive work ethic that is surpassed only by a few (Japan)
We work more hours with fewer holidays than most Europian or other 1st world nations... and we never seem to be satisfied that we are doing enough.  

Overtime Culture is a big part of the White-Collar world, If you are not putting in 10-20+ Hours beyond the normal 40, in many companys you are seen as a "slacker" or a "clock watcher"

In Blue Collar, many families cant make bills without the 1.5x overtime pay suplement to their checks.  

I have been working 45+ hour weeks for my last 2 jobs, starting in 2001.  Recently, I have been billing 50+ hours a week, and that dosent include time on "homework" like Research and reading documentation.  

In the past 4 years, my only vacation was my 1 week honeymoon and MAYBE a long weekend here and there.  When I left my last job, I was shocked when I got my check for my vacation time that I had saved up! I had tons of time, I just felt guilty about taking it, so I never did.  

It wasnt guilt out of loyalty to my company either.  It was that we were always understaffed and swamoped, so I didnt want to drop a larger workload on my co-workers while I was on a beach somewhere.  

Its the "American Work Ethic" and I dont think I am an exception.  (I do take issue with the term "Protestant work ethic" as a Catholic ;p )

Remember that America was founded by the Europian Merchant and working classes, any Aristocracy in the US was self-made.  Add to that, the Depression and the desperation to work, followed by FDR's "Arsenal of Democracy" Productivity drive and you give birth to the Production obsessed culture in the USA that has evolved today
Alles!!!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 04:48:17 PM »
I find it endlessly entertaining that was the post that brought you to the level title "beggar"