Author Topic: Google Ads  (Read 42380 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Google Ads
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2006, 12:31:13 AM »
Hehe force them to go see Uwle Bowl films...na that's too mean.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2006, 12:41:17 AM »
I don't want to set up any specific month-to-month plans; I'd rather be free to say, "oh, a new 40k video game is out this month, I'll buy it for Entropy and get a review," or "e's in town this month, so let's buy a ton of Magic boosters, do a draft, and make him write about it."

Also note: only 20 cents today. Sundays are notoriously low, I admit, but I wonder if the initial rush of money was some kind of signing bonus, and we're actually making about a tenth of what we thought. I suppose time will tell.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2006, 12:46:55 AM »
I also think part of the initial rush was people clicking on the adds to see what they're like.  I did that a few times on Friday to see how they worked, which is why I complained about them not opening up a new window, but haven't clicked on one since then.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »
now, now, the Gibbs have given bad reviews.

Now, my thing about paying for material.
If you get material paid for by TWG, I'm thinking we need to insist not just on getting hte review, but that there be a deadline associated with it. The deadline will be determined by the editor (fell or me) and the reviewer, so it will be a mutual agreement. But they need to be timely.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2006, 10:17:54 AM »
now, now, the Gibbs have given bad reviews.

Now, my thing about paying for material.
If you get material paid for by TWG, I'm thinking we need to insist not just on getting hte review, but that there be a deadline associated with it. The deadline will be determined by the editor (fell or me) and the reviewer, so it will be a mutual agreement. But they need to be timely.

As someone who is unreliable as hell, I fully agree. Once you get paidment, which is what free items is, a more professional approach should be demanded.

Also:

Fear no man
Discover what martial artists and the army don't want you to know

*cries*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:24:23 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »
So let's say I have a Web site and I'm thinking of putting google ads on it. Can you guys tell me how it works? Do you have to program your code and know how to do that? Do you get money per click, or only if they click and stay on the page for some time (cause really I'd think we all could be clicking on the ads like crazy to get the money up if it's just a click. So is it?) How much per click? Is there a site I should check out that talks about this?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
I started just clicking, but found one or two cool t-shirt sites..

Curse you
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2006, 12:54:35 PM »
The info is here, Tink: https://www.google.com/adsense/

The site will generate the html for you, and it looks fairly easy to drop in. In my case it was especially easy, because I have Tage the Magic Webmaster to do it for me.

Update to the money thing: the 20 cents I thought we earned yesterday turned out to just be a fluke of when I looked at the site, and when their thingy updated the total. Rest assured that we earned well over 20 cents yesterday, and all is well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:06:13 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like a good way to get money, if you can get people coming to your site.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2006, 03:08:12 PM »
As I learn more about the system (it doesn't hide info, it just doesn't present it very intuitively), I've found that the money you make depends on the click-through-rate, meaning the ratio between impressions and clicks. For example, 1000 impressions and 10 clicks will get you more money than 2000 impressions and 10 clicks.

Impressions, by the way, are page views.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
Another thing we could consider is doing a TWG Amazon link.  This is more of a begging thing than the Google ads.  

The idea for those of you who don't know is this:  If a site has up a link to Amazon, and you click on it (setting a cookie on your browser) then buy something on Amazon, that site makes 5% or so off your purchase.

So, if there are those of you who are buying things off of Amazon anyway, and aren't clicking through anybody's link, then you might as well click through the (as of yet non-existent) TWG link and make the site some cash.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2006, 12:57:03 AM »
I actually have code that I wrote for EUOL's site, and haven't added yet, that will place amazon links on the page for you automatically. All you have to do is add the ISBN or equivalent number into a text field of the article.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2006, 06:55:13 AM »
Umm am I missing something?  All the adds are gone now.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »
So, if there are those of you who are buying things off of Amazon anyway, and aren't clicking through anybody's link, then you might as well click through the (as of yet non-existent) TWG link and make the site some cash.

I'd do this. I buy at Amazon all the time--all of my books--and then I'd feel like I was supporting a good cause!  ;D

And, as I've read through this and seen the benefit of the ads, I've repented of my grumpy ways. Go ahead and keep them if it's going to fund the site. That is really nice of Tage to host TWG for free, and it is a good idea to use the $ to get stuff to review. So, with all those good things, I don't mind the ads staying.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
?Re: Google Ads
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2006, 12:03:34 PM »
The ads should still be there, Sprig. Were you on a different computer, or behind some kind of firewall, either of which might have prevented them?