Author Topic: Latte tax  (Read 2490 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Latte tax
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2003, 08:26:12 PM »
I never said the whole revolution... that took the British Military occupation of Boston to do.  

After the BTP the Brits were so ticked off at Boston that they moved thousands of troops into Boston.
Then they began asserting British law and controlls that had been notoriously absent in the colonies.  These troops were in a situation fairly close to the one their in in Iraq (without the wholesale war beforehand of course) they didn't know who to befriend and who to work with. Eventually their bumbling and stumbling around got people killed on both sides. Combined with the fact that the first troops moved into Boston were known as some of the worst troops in the British Army with the least amount of discipline (still better organzied and trained than Bostonian Mobs of course) and that these soldiers were billeted illegally in private citizens homes without any compensation. Combined with an abortive march into the countryside to sieze arms from local militias and near anarchy the British turned a bad situation into an uncontrollable mess. Other colonies balked at the rough treatment of Bostonians (egged on by the radical New England press) and reasoned that if Boston was first where would the British stop.  It was touch and go, but when New England erupted into full scale war the other colonies were really scared. Especially when the talk coming out of London equated all Americans with New Englanders at the time. The British then invaded Charleston SC and New York (both on the cusp of revolution, but likely to eventually side with the King (A general minority of rebels in those places) these futher invasions galvanised the resolve of Americans to resist the British.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 08:31:11 PM »
Yes, i know all this. Which just goes to prove my theory that Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff.

Wait, wrong theory. It goes to prove that lowering taxes on tea did NOT start the Revolutionary war.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 08:57:08 PM »
I happen to like Seattle and its environs, just for the natural beauty.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 08:57:36 PM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 09:07:31 PM »
Seattle is neat, I particularly like the camping in the Olympics and Cascades.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2003, 08:51:54 AM »
Actually, i dont think Tea is taxed. There is a law against taxing food/drinks here in the UK, i think.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch