Author Topic: Starcraft can kill  (Read 4287 times)

Legion

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft can kill
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 05:42:32 PM »
when using the carriers I expected to lose Intercepters too, they carrier did not care about them either, and man a fleet of those full of Intercepters was the best looking swarm of attacking units ever, man I loved that
Without death there is no life

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 06:46:37 PM »
That wasn't English. And you still lose.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 06:55:51 PM »
Damn man, use a period from time to time please D:
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 07:05:01 PM »
you expected to lose units because you didn't know how to use the carrier. It DOESN'T tend to lose interceptors, unless you have one or two carriers up against a huge mass of targets that don't die easily (say, one carrier against 50 hydralisks, or 2 against a 8 or 9 photon cannons). That's why they move so fast. If it were real, than yes, it'd be a swarm. But since it's just a single unit AI in a video game, it behaves as one unit, and thus it's really just one big unit in terms of characterizing the race's units. The carrier depends on it's huge shield and the relative indestructability of the small units to operate. Whereas a swarm relies on the shear numbers to ensure that not ALL of them will die.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 07:47:30 PM »
Also, to ensure that when both forces die, your losses are minor in the big scale of your side, but the enemy losses are major to them. So you win longterm even if you get decimated in every encounter shortterm.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 01:28:55 AM »
Well, the carrier and its interceptors don't act as one unit where attacking is concerned. If you've got 10 interceptors and there are 10 different targets, each one will target a different one (more or less, randomly) unless you specifically target them. That's why hotkeys are so good.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 09:21:44 PM »
actually, I've noticed very little randomness to their attack pattern. they attack the closest thing, obeying the rules everything else does (units that can attack them, buildings that can attack them, combat units not capable of attacking them, non-combat units, buildings -- then add on zerg larvae and zerg eggs on the end, if you want to be that specific). the only behavior that is really different is that they don't pursue a fleeing unit they started attacking until it's dead if they weren't specifically ordered to attack a single unit. Which is something I love.

But yeah, intercepters follow that AI just like everything else, favoring the closest target if multiple ones at the same level exist.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 09:42:03 PM »
not to cut away from the conversation, but if this is going to be a discussion mostly about stuff in the game and not the fool who died it should probably be in the VG section.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 11:13:06 PM »
That's what I was thinking--that it was kind of funny that instead of talking about how video games can kill you went off on how great the game is.

Ironic, just a bit.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 01:59:08 AM »
It kills you with goodness.  You know, like cheeseburgers.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 04:43:10 AM »
You know, Computer Gaming World gave Tiberian Sun a bad rating and explained it by comparing the game to a cheesburger.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 12:29:10 PM »
Didn't you get the memo?  The Cheesburger is the new zenith of goodicity, therefor all things should be compared to a cheeseburger to determine its value.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 09:42:12 PM »
*recalls a certain long-past game*
It's always fun to create an incredibly massive hoarde of Mutalisks, and then launch them at a little mob of Terrans. Much amusement, even though 8/10ths of them die...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 11:09:52 PM »
The  "I'm bored" setup is Big Game Hunters (or Even Bigger) 7 computer 1 player Free for all. The Goal is to control a fully evolved/developed set of all three races (which means you start with Protoss, the only way to gain control over a different race). This includes having all buildings so you can make any unit available on demand. My friend's variant is to fill the entire board with Creep.
Naturally, the most effective tactics are nukes against protoss (I use 4 silos, which guarantees that one will be replaced by the time the fourth hits, meaning the ghost can immediately move to the next target) and a full squad of carriers against everything else. Though it's fun to send a squad of carriers and a squad of battle cruisers as well. the Zerg are too weak to go in and be victorious in one massive sweep, imo. Still, it's fun to hide behing huge banks of Photon Cannons and send wave after wave of zerglings out (esp. against protoss guarded by Templars, that storm they do makes a really neat set of popping zerglings, but it doesn't do much to hurt the Protoss). Sometimes I send out a bunch of Guardians, just to see what they'll do.