Author Topic: Linguist wanted  (Read 3301 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Linguist wanted
« on: September 20, 2005, 09:58:38 AM »
So I got word from one of my sister-in-laws that the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security is looking desperately for linguists at the moment.

My sister-in-law works for the dept. as a cryptologist and get a large bonus if she refers anyone.

Anyone interested?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Legion

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
Re: Linguist wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 12:04:37 PM »
I am interested...I can speak English and worse English?

Without death there is no life

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:14:12 PM »
Do you know what languages they're interested in, or is it just for a linguist in general?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 02:06:25 PM »
Linguists in general, but probably mostly languages like arabic, chinese, and korean.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 02:18:50 PM »
I got a call on Satuday from the Defense Department, Investigation Divisions. Fortunately, they were after one of my friends that is a linguist, speaks Korean better than me, and had applied for a position with the US intelligence agencies (which includes Homeland Security). They do a through background check. So if you apply, be sure to have a lot of references prepared.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 02:31:54 PM »
Sounds like they are looking for bilingual people rather than linguists.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 03:02:46 PM »
Did you think about contacting Linguistics departments and giving them your sister-in-law's info so they can contact her about the position? I know that there have been some grad students hired by the government because they were getting their grad degree in Linguistics. They were actually paid to learn the languages (I believe Arabic, what a surprise). You could email BYU's linguistic's department at linguistics AT byu DOT edu. Just put the info that is needed in the email and then ask it be forwarded to linguistics students.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »
Sounds like they are looking for bilingual people rather than linguists.

All I was told was that they were looking for linguist. My sister-in-law (and Lost_One's) is in the cryptology department. They are code-breakers not translators and they want liguist. It could be just to translate, but the government isn't forth-coming with details.

I know that the Homeland Security program recruits heavily from BYU already. BYU does have one of the best linguistics departments in the U.S if not the World.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 06:48:50 PM »
I'd love a position, but I'm only minoring in Linguistics, don't have my degree yet, and speak French (though I'm learning Chinese...)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 06:49:03 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 09:27:09 PM »
42, I'm desperately interested. I have a BA in Linguistics and I'm currently dealing with encryption algorithms and codes at work. I also almost minored in Math (I was two classes shy and wanted to graduate more than I wanted the minor).
What are the details of the job (besides cryptography)?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 11:40:37 AM »
Old_One, do you have an email that I could give to my sister-in-law? It's probably best if she tells you the details. She is better informed and has a higher security-clearance than me.

I do suspect that the job would be in the Washington, D.C. area, but that may not be the case.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 12:05:17 PM »
That's ok, the Washington DC area roxxors. Jeffe and I will help acclimate TWGer who moves here

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 05:49:50 PM »
I figured it might be in the DC area. Thanks, 42.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 12:53:11 AM »
Good luck!!!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 11:36:51 PM »
Oldie Locks, when you are done with the electronic application email my sister-in-law so you can get priority.

I found out a little more about the position. They aren't looking for people who speak any particular language. They are looking for people who can learn a language. When you get hired they will assign you to learn a certain (probably obscure) language. What is actually involved in the position is classified. They don't reveal the details until you recieve your security clearance.

According to my sister-in-law, people like working at the NSA.

Also, you have to pass a background check which takes about 8 months. So that is when you can expect to hear back from them. They won't hire people with any sort of addiction or criminal record.