Author Topic: Cool Stuff found on the Internet V  (Read 41086 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Stuff found on the Internet V
« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »
I don't know if this is cool to anyone but me. However, I have to say (as an attorney) that he should have hired a better tax attorney.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/25/survivor.taxes.ap/index.html
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2006, 09:59:21 AM »
would it have helped? Sounds like it was more than just not paying taxes on one award.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 26, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »
He was convicted for criminal tax evasion, meaning he didn't tell the IRS that he won. So he didn't pay taxes on the award and then lied about it to the IRS, that's why he is going to jail. Specifically, it would be a willful failure to pay tax under IRC section 7203 and probably another charge of fraud under IRC 7207. Plus he will have to pay the tax (probably about $350,000) plus penalties for filing a fraudulent returns, under section 6663, (which would equal about $475,000), plus interest.

A decent tax attorney, however, could have kept him out of jail by advising him to do a voluntary disclosure, which by doing, would avoid the criminal charges under section 7203 and 7207. He would still have to pay the penalties and interest. Unfortunately, once the IRS started to investigate, voluntary disclosure doesn't work and he should have accepted to earlier plea bargain.

Bottom line, Richard Hatch acted like an idiot and should have talk to a lawyer as soon as he won survivor.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 27, 2006, 02:50:58 AM »
Yeah but he also didn't pay taxes on his talk show host job. Sounds like he just hates paying taxes.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 27, 2006, 03:47:30 PM »
I don't know of too many people who like to pay taxes. In fact, some people hate them so much that they refuse to pay taxes and claim that tax collecting is illegal of the 16th amendment (which isn't true).

I think he thought that the IRS wouldn't audit him, which is true for most Americans. However, when you win a million dollar prize, you can expect the IRS to be giving you a call. Or he could be dump enough to think that someone else would pay his taxes for him, which can't happen.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #410 on: January 27, 2006, 04:04:52 PM »
I love turning in my taxes

Of course, ever since I've been paying income tax I have always gotten at least what I had pulled from my paycheck returned (if not more). So April isn't a bad time for me.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 28, 2006, 12:44:03 AM »
Bottom line, Richard Hatch acted like an idiot . . .

More than that, even, I think. He merely acted like the scheming, arrogant twit he showed himself to be on the show. hehe. I, for one, am glad he didn't have a better lawyer--or more sense in the first place to take the plea bargain.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »
This TWG thread is cool because it has finally reached over 400 posts. So, who gets to start the next thread?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."