Author Topic: News from Scar!  (Read 4857 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
News from Scar!
« on: November 22, 2003, 07:13:43 PM »
If anyone is interested how Scar is doing, I got an email from him last week and he asked me to post a section to the board.  Someone please tell 42 and Brenna about this post, so they can come read it if they want.

Ethan Skarstedt
Firebase Gereshk, Afghanistan
06 November 2003
Hey All.  I thought it might be appropriate to write a small missive to everyone letting you all know how I am doing here in Afghanistan among the rocks, boulders, mountains, dirt and dirt farmers.
I'm at a firebase outside a town called Gereshk in central southern Afghanistan.  Our living conditions are better than could reasonably be expected.  There are actual buildings, built to order by the locals from mud and sticks, behind the mud walls (3-4 feet thick), the triple strand concertina wire, claymores and trip flares and the local AMF (Afghan Militia Force) on the outer perimeter.  It's better than it sounds as there are cement floors, the walls are painted and there are air-conditioning units in each.  The ac units, however, have just passed the point of usefulness this year.  It gets downright chilly at night and is comfortable rather than hot during the day.  It has yet to rain during my stay here, even once.  When the wind picks up the dust flys and you can barely see twenty meters.  That doesn't happen too often though.
The food is actually quite good.  Being with the Special Forces is great when it comes to food as they hire locals to buy and cook food for them.  This means that we get fresh eggs and vegetables from Gereshk and Raouf, the cook, is downright expert at cooking the frozen and drypacked food that gets shipped in to us when the supply helicopter makes it out to us.  He'll even cook the bacon for us, though he won't eat it himself, being Muslim and all.  It's Ramadan right now, which is a month long religious holiday Muslims observe, during which they fast all day, from sunup to sundown, and feast after dark.  Raouf makes a rice dish, with saffron and raisins, that is absolutely amazing as part of the feast for himself, the interpreters and the workers and he will occasionally slip me a bowl.  I keep trying to remember to get the recipe.
There's a pelican wandering around the firebase.  It's pink.  It was a gift from a local warlord to the green berets that were here before the current ones.   Odd I know, we're in the middle of the desert in a landlocked country and there's a pelican wandering around.  Up until a week ago it spent all its time in a cage because we didn't know what to do with it.  Last week we just opened the cage door and it bolted out into the yard only to discover that its wings were too weak to fly.  It spends its time flapping and chasing the cats now.  I expect that one day soon we'll wake up and find it gone.  I wish it luck making it to the ocean without getting shot and eaten.  Que sera sera.
We've lost one man from our firebase since I've been here.  Last week he and his team were up north and they got into a firefight with some Taliban.  He was using the radio to call the rest of the team and arrange for the Air Force to rain destruction on the heads of the bad guys when he took a round through the forehead.  He died instantly leaving behind a wife and two children.  Please keep them in your prayers, as well as the families of the others who have died over here trying too keep us all safe at home.  Don't worry about the bad guys that got him though, we've got it covered.

Ethan
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: News from Scar!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 07:58:33 PM »
I am glad to here that Scar is doing okay.

EOUL, why would you think that I wouldn't just see this on the board? I'm on the board more often than you and I post more often.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 09:02:30 PM »
Huzzah for Skar! Hope you stay safe, buddy.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 09:10:26 PM »
42:  I never see your posts, since you don't often seem to read the same threads as I do.  I know you post a lot to Arthur and RPG, but I wasn't certain if you read the upper sections.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 01:44:30 AM »
I'm glad Ethan's doing okay. It's good to hear about what he's up to.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 02:18:58 AM »
EUOL, you're missing out. I guess so is Skar, but at least he can content himself knowing he's defending the free-world and is being a hero and stuff. I guess EOUL can just be content that he hasn't littered his mind with anything intelligent. ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 02:19:30 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 11:55:40 AM »
So . . . anyone going to tell EUOL he spelled Skar's name wrong??

I'm glad to hear that he's doing okay.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 01:41:58 PM »
Wow, he makes me really glad that I'm not in the military. But yeah, it's good to know he's alive and doing well.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 10:09:33 PM »
I was flipping through an atlas today and found myself in Afghanistan.  So Gereshk is not quite 100 miles east of Kandahar.